If you can tie flies, which you can, you can wrap a rod. Basics? You'll need a rattail rasp to fit the cork handle. A roll of masking tape. A cardboard box that you'll cut corresponding V's into the left and right side. I used a fly tying thread bobbin and poked a hole into the base of the box and that worked just fine. Some folks like to put their thred into a little bowl then run it through a dictionairy to create tension. I went with the bobbin instead. My wife's grandfather gave us a very old rotissarie he used to do about seven chickens at one time. I use it to rotor my rod while the epoxy sets. works perfectly. I use little bushes I get for about a quarter from an auto parts supplier that folks use in soldering to apply my epoxy. Stiff and about the right width for a wrap. You can spends scads, but you can build one easily by making do. I built three rods before Wrangler loaned me a rod wrap thing he got at Cabelas for about $30 or so. It is way more convenient but you can make do very easily. Hope this helps. JGW