+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Zealand wool?

Default New Zealand wool?

Hi, Folks. I've been reading about the "wonders" of genuine New Zealand wool for strike indicators that never sink. Apparently it's partly due to the natural lanolin in the wool- unwashed? Is there anything about the sheep in NZ that makes their wool superior to that of American sheep? Is it the texture, a larger natural amount of lanolin, or what? My inquiring mind wants to know! I might sound less than serious, but I really am curious.

Chuck

Default New zealand wool

Hi Chuck,
    I am no scientist but I would think that the diet of the NZ sheep might contribute somewhat to the amounts of natural lanolin contained in the wool and possibly the environment might have an affect on growth and thickness of the animals hides. Just a guess
    Gerri

Hi Chuck, not sure that NZ wool is any better than other wool, but as the place is full of them it is very easy to pick up an untreated tuft of wool from the nearest farm fence, the lanolin makes it float, but it will still sink after a while! The main thing is that finding untreated wool in other places may be a bit harder. Mostly I leave the sheeps wool to the sheep and just use a pinch on indicator or a dry fly.
    All the best.
    Mike

I'm reminded of a time that an extended biz trip found me in beautiful NZ about mid-trip. Jet lagged beyond belief.

I had this strange dream where I woke up in the middle of the night after dreaming I had heard Elvis songs being played on a bagpipe. As I struggled to comprehend things, I found myself wondering what continent I was on, not just what city, and wondering about the origin of this very strange dream. As I tried to resume sleep, a real life, likely inebriated, bagpiper began playing Elvis songs in the street below my room.

When morning came, I wandered groggily around the streets near my hotel. I went into a shop offering tourist info and NZ gifts. I bought a wonderful NZ hand knitted wool sweater there at a bargain price. I had dinner that night with a local employed by my company. When I told them about my sweater buy, the wife told me I had likely been ripped off. Then I showed her the sweater and she was amazed and asked me for the address for the shop.

That sweater gave me a lot of comfort and happy memories for many years. I hope I can get back to NZ at least one more time before I kick the bucket. It is one of the world's paradises.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
    I'm reminded of a time that an extended biz trip found me in beautiful NZ about mid-trip. Jet lagged beyond belief.

I had this strange dream where I woke up in the middle of the night after dreaming I had heard Elvis songs being played on a bagpipe. As I struggled to comprehend things, I found myself wondering what continent I was on, not just what city, and wondering about the origin of this very strange dream. As I tried to resume sleep, a real life, likely inebriated, bagpiper began playing Elvis songs in the street below my room.

When morning came, I wandered groggily around the streets near my hotel. I went into a shop offering tourist info and NZ gifts. I bought a wonderful NZ hand knitted wool sweater there at a bargain price. I had dinner that night with a local employed by my company. When I told them about my sweater buy, the wife told me I had likely been ripped off. Then I showed her the sweater and she was amazed and asked me for the address for the shop.

That sweater gave me a lot of comfort and happy memories for many years. I hope I can get back to NZ at least one more time before I kick the bucket. It is one of the world's paradises.
    Number 1, oldfrat- I'm rather envious of your marvelous experience in NZ.
    Number2- since the aforementioned sweater was knitted of lanolin-rich New Zealand wool, would it have made a fine floatation aid?

Chuck

+ Reply to Thread