Thread: Marble Trout

Lightbulb Marble Trout

Can you spell Slovenia ??

Hint, I spelled it correctly.

Can you spell Idrijca River ??

Hint, I spelled it correctly.

Can you spell ...

Marble Trout ??

This pic was taken by Dan Shepherd, Managing Partner of the Grizzly Hackle in Missoula MT, when he recently guided a fly angling trip to Slovenia. Thought you all might enjoy it.

When I first saw the pic, I thought the banding ( if I may call it that ) on the fishy was a lighting effect. But Dan assured me that is the natural coloration of this species.

The marble trout do get big. Dan told me how he and one of his clients both fished to one that was in the 36" range. They caught several marble trout well over 20", along with a good number of big rainbow and brown trouts.

John
    The fish are always right.

I do not see a pic?

It's a trout about as long as your arm, or so it appears. Very interesting report John.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Looks like a cross between a native Brookie and a Brown.

Default Aah....Marble Trout

One for my bucket list.....fishing for big marble trout in Northern Italy with my good internet friend Stefano! Stefano lives in Treviso and fishes the Piave River and many other local waters, primarily for his beloved marbles. And yes, they do grow very large and sometimes cross-breed with their brown brethren. I'm saving my pennies and am going to try like heck to make this happen one day! Here are some photos of the Piave River and some decent marbles...... This one is a hybrid marble/brown.
    Last edited by bobbyg; 06-26-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

That is awesome! Looks like a trip of a lifetime.

Default Yes, indeed!!

Thank you John. The marble trout haunts me! NJtroutbum, yes indeed, the trip of a lifetime, for me anyway!

A few pictures of other things that haunt me about Treviso....

The River Sile in downtown Treviso, a chalkstream, that according to Stefano holds some huge trouts.
    Unfortunately, fishing is banned there. Stefano and his club are fighting for a catch and release section
    with a limited number of anglers per day. Their version of PETA is strongly represented in the city council
    and blocks their every move. Maybe they will win out one day?

Being an Italian food junkie I can imagine a great meal of spaghetti carbonara, a bottle of Prosecco, and a
    dessert of Tiramisu after a day of memorable fishing! By the way, both Prosecco and Tiramisu originated
    in the Treviso area of Italy.

Photobucket is giving me fits!! I'll try to get a couple more pics up later!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bobbyg; 07-03-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I have dreamed of traveling to Mongolia and catching taimen for years. Italy after marble trout definitely looks more comfortable and more doable.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Good suggestion John!

+ Reply to Thread