Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column for June 24 to July 1, 2013

For the passed eight weeks we have been looking at, and comparing different styles and methods of sport fishing. My wish, for this series was to establish some common ground, encompasses all methods of sport fishing and sport fishers. That being said, I hope we can all agree that success can be achieved through each method of angling and all have their places in the halls of sport fishing. Please do not get the idea that I am suggesting that we all embrace each and every method of angling; certainly not, the field is much too wide for that. No, what I am suggesting is that we respect that other angler, for the skill she or he may have. Based on my own personal experience, I can tell you that there have been more times than enough, when the key to cracking the code (of the food source/fly) was determined by comparing notes with the plug chuckers.

One of the things I stress in teaching my classes is finding your own place in the sport. Everyone fishes for their own reasons; therefore everyone needs to make their sport, their own. Take for instance your rod; you know what you want, you know what you want it do and you know how you want it to feel in your hand; your fishing should be no different. As an angler, you would like your rights respected, so it is only fitting that you respect your fellow anglers. The idea behind recreational fishing is fun, not slagging.

This coming long weekend we celebrate Canada Day. Tolerance, and respect for others is part of who we are as Canadians; let's show it this weekend.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is fair to good. The current weather pattern has thrown a wrench into things, for better success try to catch those upward wings in the barometric pressure. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Bloodworm, Nations Black, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Wooly Worm, Pumpkin Head, Micro Leach, Doc Spratley, Halfback, Sixpack, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry (floating) fly action try: Lady McConnel, Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Double Hackled Peacock, Royal Coachman, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, or Elk Hair Caddis. For kokanee try: Scarlet Ibis, San Juan Worm, Double Trude, Blood Worm, Kokanee Thriller, Kokanee Zonker, or Red Spratley.

Our lower Mainland bass and panfish waters are rating fair. For Bass try: Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Gomphus Bug, Crayfish, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Lefty's Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Bucktail, Hair Frog, Poppers, Chernobyl Ant, or Stimulator. For Panfish try smaller (size 12 to 16) versions of the above.

Most interior lakes are fishing fair to good. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Halfback Nymph, Baggy Shrimp, Pumpkin Head, Wooly Bugger, Big Black, Dragon Nymph, Sixpack, 52 Buick, or Doc Spratley. For dry fly fishing try: Lady McConnel, Tom Thumb, Adams, Irresistible, Renegade, Black Gnat, or Elk Hair Caddis.