+ Reply to Thread

Thread: changing seats

Default changing seats

Is it possible to change the reel seat on a factory built rod? I have an Orvis Trident that I like but I am sure I would like it more if it had a ?Down Locking? Reel Seat. I have yet to build a rod but I would also like to know if it being doable is it a project I could do?
    Jim

OK, I'll give you my 2cents. What you are wanting to do is possible but I think you would be wise to not do it. You run a good chance of messing up on otherwise good rod. I have taken a real seat off of a broken rod and used it on a new one. They can sometimes be removed with heat. I boiled the one I did. I doubt heat from a hair dryer would penetrate the seat enough to soften the epoxy. If they did a poor attachement it might come of easy or it might not and you could mess things up royally. Go build the rod you want. After the new one is built you can sell the old one and you might be money ahead depending one what blank you use. Good luck Allyn

Thanks Allyn
    I had bounced the idea off a good friend yesterday and got basicly the same answer. I have found a rod builder I am very happy doing business with, I just got a 903 4pc FT with a Down locking reel seat from him. What a difference the seat makes.
    Thanks again
    Jim

I'm just curious as to why you'd want to do that...the cosmetics of those reel seats is awesome.

mgj

Glad to try and help. I hope your project works out ok for you. If you get one built and I'm sure you will, you will build many more. It is fun and does not need to cost a lot in rod blanks or tools to build with..... Allyn

Heck, I prefer the uplocking seat. The down locking seat rings work loose on me when I fly fish. The up locking rings do not. Because of the weight of the reel on the locking rings? I dunno....but I prefer the uplocking rings. Gues that's what makes horse races.

------------------
    Plain old Jim, I'm Plain...and I'm old.

+ Reply to Thread