+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old school graphite 9' 6wt's

Default Old school graphite 9' 6wt's

Been on the hunt for a 906 Scott G as I prefer the deeper flexing, low modulous graphite over today's stiff fast stuff. I have owned enough Sages, including a few 9' 6wts to know I want something softer that will mend well and feel good with even dinky trout. I have found an Orvis Western 9' 6wt that I am also considering as I already have a love affair with my 1982 vintage Orvis "trout" 8' 6wt. Winstons typically have too soft a tip for me and I know exactly how the Scott g 906 casts. Just wondering if anyone else has a thing for medium actioned 9' 6wts? A buddy of mine used to have an old Diamondback All American 906-2 that was very smooth and deep flexing...a joy to cast. Welcome any and all other insights!
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Question: If the objective is for a rod to "feel good with dinky trout", why a 6wt?

Maybe that was kinda overstated. Just mean the rod should be soft enough overall that even smallish trout, those occasional 7-9" fish caught in a river that normally yields fish that average in the 12" range, would put a bend you could feel in the rod. This is definitely a river rod. I catch a lot of fish in the 14-20" slot in this river, the water is crystal clear most times, and you need to be able to fish at fair distance to take the wary veteran fish. Reach and mending ability are a premium consideration. Tippet protection is HIGH priority too. There are such rods out there, and a 6wt rod can do everything a 5wt can only better in most cases. Midges to streamers

When it is time to get serious about nymphing...

Scott G, 10' 5wt. - Tibor Freestone reel...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

It is always interesting to me that I don't remember ever hearing a negative comment aboaut Scott rods. We have all, I'm sure, heard good and bad aboaut all the rest of the rods on the maket. But Scott rods are always spoken well of.

OK. How bout Scott G906-4 vs G2906-4. Anyone have compared the two?

aa

+ Reply to Thread