+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cane Rod Blanks?

EnigmaCane is Terry Ackland, as mentioned above.

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:f0c69]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:f0c69]

Enigma Cane - Terry Ackland
    Blanks are very well made, they are fast actioned and a good transition rod for a Graphite convert. His blanks are also impregnated, so there is no need to varnish anything more than the wraps. Would Recommended either Terry or AJ's blanks, both are high quality.
    Peter

3. Default

How (where)do you get Thramer blanks and does anyone know how to contact Mr. Thramer?
    Thanks a lot.

AJ Thramer's email address:
    ajthramer@hotmail.com

a good quick outlet for Thramer blanks is Dave Henny as well. You might give him a shout. [url=http://WWW.Davesrods.com.:097c2]WWW.Davesrods.com.[/url:097c2]

Bill T, or, Harry Boyd.. both are good choices
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Don't forget building a fly rod from a bamboo blank is slightly more work than building a graphite rod from a blank.

After you attach the cork handle, reel seat and guides (I'll assume that the blank is ferruled). You have to finish the rod with a varnish to make it water tight. That can be a trick to do so and have the rod come out looking good. Most rod makers will "dip" the rod in a tube of varnish and pull it out Slooooooow (like 1/2" a minute). Or many drain the varnish from a tube that the rod is hanging within.

Some rod makers will hand rub on the varnish or oil (like tru-oil). It's tricky to get that really nice looking finish. Brushing it on and having it look nice is next to impossible (for me anyway).

Don't let this stop you, but rather be aware of this step! It's a lot of fun to fish a bamboo rod (especially one you've worked on).

Scott T
    P.S. Typically, folks use the word "build" for assembling rod components and "make" for creating one from a raw culm of bamboo.

Ron Kusse!!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Just built my first 'boo rod after many graphite rods. I found eBay sellers Golden Witch, Mark Fitch and Gary Williams to have good quality and prices. Mine was from Gary:

Casts very nicely, even compared to my graphite rods (action vs weight)...wrps still need a little clean up but I am happy with the quality of the blank. Gary installs the ferrules and applies several coats of varnish which saves a lot of work.
    George

+ Reply to Thread