+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wire Ally's Shrimp

Hybrid View

AlanB Guest

Default Wire Ally's Shrimp

This week a friend was given 2 evenings salmon fishing on the River Brora. On Wednesday I went with him, mostly to take photos and help out. The waste was very low, we haven't had significant rain in 5 weeks. Fishing just above where this photo was taken he got a pull from a salmon, but it didn't stick.

I managed to find a grass covered hole with my boot and stumbled. Didn't think anything of it at the time, but next morning I could hardly stand. I've aggravated an old knee injury. The worst of it is it is affecting my tying! I can't sit for very long without it ceasing up completely.
    On the Thursday he went back on his own. He was fishing the next beat up. To cut a long story short he had 4 salmon on one of these.

Hook: Low water salmon double size 12. (The whole fly is about 1 1/4" long.)
    Tag: Fine silver holographic tinsel.
    Tail: Hot orange buck tail (You can add a couple of strands of Crystal flash if you like).
    Rib: Fine silver holographic tinsel.
    Body: In two halves both made from 2 strands of coloured copper wire twisted together. Rear half red front half black.
    Wing: Squirrel tail above and below the hook shank, a bunch of GP tippet feathers over.
    Hackle: Softish cock, Hot Orange

The original pattern is Ally's Shrimp, my variation on it is to use wire for the body in place of the usual floss. Part of his success was having a fly that go down to the fish. The other part was being given access to really good water at the right time! Now I will have to get to tying more of these up.

Cheers,
    A.

Hate to hear about your injury and hope the knee recovers quickly for you.
    Great picture of some beautiful water and country! Congrats to your friend on his catch.
    The fly looks great. No salmon near me to fish for but I can see that fly working for our crappie. Thanks for posting.

Ronnie

AlanB Guest

Thanks, its been hanging in for the past 20 years since I first did it. Hoping it either gets better or is bad enough to operate on. Typically my new float tube landed yesterday and I can't go out in it!
    Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

I had a major knee job in 1976 and was told it would only last ten years as the technique was new and they had not worked out the bugs. It has given me no issues of any kind and that includes a lot of tough duty for a lot of years. It is remarkable what they can do in the operating room these days...

Good looking fly... its similar to the allys shrimp tied bu david mcphail on youtube...
    Last edited by bugman; 06-30-2013 at 05:19 AM.
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

AlanB Guest

It is similar to Davie's but much heavier. The original called for a floss body. I do 3 versions the original, one with holographic tinsel, and the above using just wire. Then there are lots of colour variations.
    Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread