+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Uncle Jesse - Crash Test Dummy Net Safety

Hybrid View

Default Uncle Jesse - Crash Test Dummy Net Safety

In my on going efforts to make the world safer for my fellow fishermen and ladies, I reopened the testing labs to test the issue of safety with landing nets.

I got my spanking new NuCanoe I have been wanting. I also have a virgin Cortland ?Bodin like? net, a Christmas present. Knowing my ability to allow nets to escape my ownership, I decided to see where I could best attach it to the boat. When I stretched the lanyard the snap type hardware attached to the net failed with half of it popping my left hand. It was hurt like h*ll, if it had come loose at an angle striking an eye, you would lose the eye. The snap is some kind of ?pot metal? that has very little strength to it. If you have one of the Cortland nets replace the snap device on the end.

I emailed Cortland suggested they offer a retrofit. Keep the net away from your kids. I will have a report on the NuCanoe from the Uncle Jesse labs very soon.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

A follow up report: After sending my email, I called and actually had a conversation with the COO of Cortland and explained the issue with the clasp to him. He seem very appreciative. His call was followed by a call to me by someone in customer service who followed up by sending me replacement stretchy cords with clasp and a magnetic net keeper. Now I just have to figure out where to put it since I rarely wear a vest and notice my old vest has shrunk considerable over the last few years.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Interesting story. I too had one of the shrinking vests but, gave it to a younger angler.

+ Reply to Thread