+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Skittle

Hybrid View

Default The Skittle

Skittle.jpg

The Skittle is by far the simplest pattern in my box to tie and also one of my favorite. All materials are applied pretty much in one step, and its durability is amazing. The original pattern was tied with Chartreuse wire, but I have found that in winter and late fall a red or orange wire can at times be the difference between an amazing day and a cold fishless one. I fish the Skittle as a single fly most often, below an indicator on deeper runs. However it does double-duty for me off a dropper on a dual nymph rig. It sinks like a rock, gives a hotspot of color, and is nearly chew-proof. Oh....and fish eat it.

Skittle
    Hook: #16 Orvis Bead-head
    Thread: Black 6/0 Uni-thread
    Bead: Gold Tungsten
    Weight: Small lead or lead-substitute wire
    Abdomen: Chartreuse Small Uni-wire & Peacock Herl
    Wing: #18 Brown Dry Fly Hackle

For a step-by-step PDF, please click on the link below

http://home.comcast.net/~rlonghunter...aea90c923192bf

C'Mon. You just can't say it catches fish. I want to see a picture of it in a fish's' mouth. HA! HA! If I tie a few up tonight will they work tomorrow morning?
    Bruce

Lastchance....It grew up in your neck of the woods. I've had good luck with it below the dam at the Breeches & it likes the Tully as well.

I first fished the red version on the Breeches in the winter.

John....it's so easy to tie that you almost feel like your cheating. Curious whether it would do as well out West?

Ralph

Thanks for posting the fly. I will have some added to my tackle as I believe the bluegill, redears and crappie will like it too.

John, that's awesome!

I have found that if you don't twist it evenly tight all the way to the hook it will tend to wrap unevenly. I agree, spinning a long wire dubbing brush in advance would alleviate that issue for sure. And it would allow you to knock them out pretty slick.

Look forward to the report!

Ralph

John,

Thanks for the time on the water. I agree, it's a tiny bugger for high water. At least your day went well though.

Ralph

John,

Nice little whitefish and a nice little stretch of water too. I learned while I lived out on the Left coast, never to badmouth a whitefish. Too often they can save the day.

I can't thank you enough for getting some Skittles wet for me. It's a long cast to your neck of the woods. Was it the green version they were taking?

On fine herl I don't worry too much about the end, because I trim of aobut 3/4" on either end that I start with. When they are too larger and stiff though, I do the same as you and tie them in tip first.

Thanks much!

Ralph

John,

I am with you on the Whitefish. From 89-2000 I made many a trip to the Yakima in the middle of the winter for them. I enjoy them.

Lightening is the one thing I don't enjoy on the water. Well maybe the 2nd thing. Don't care for skeeters either, but at least you can combat them....lightening wins every time.

I enjoy the pics and trips. I'm in the middle of moving homes, so I am living through everybody elses fishing until it's all done.

Ralph

John,

Thank you for another nice report and I'm envious on the stretch of water. Like I've found out in this direction, fish like Skittles. It has really become one of my favorite dropper patterns when searching water. Are you still fishing the chartreuse version?

Ralph

+ Reply to Thread