+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone furling with braid

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    Crotalus,

Here is my opinion and I already know it is not worth much, but, I feel too many people put to much thought into the breaking strength of a Furled Leader. It is the tippet breaking point that is most important since your fly is attached to the tippet and not the Furled Leader. The concern should be on the tippet breaking before the Furled Leader or rod. The flex of the fly rod and the reel drag is what will wear out a large fish. I feel that most who enjoy using Furled Leaders, enjoy them because they outlast a tappered mono/fluorocarbon leader and they will turn-over a longer tippet and fly. I do understand why some use PowerPro, Spiderwire and other material and that is because of the strength of that material, but, a good Furled Leader also needs some stretch so that it will protect the tippet and rod. The teeth of musky and pike will come into play on the tippet and not the Furled Leader so a good Furled Leader should have some stretch and be able to turn-over larger flies to these fish.

Just my opinion and nothing more.....
    I am pretty much in agreement with you Warren. I am envisioning a furled powerpro leader (6' or so) to get things turned over, then probably something in the 12# range (probably fluoro or mono for stiffness) as a shock tippet (12"-18"), then either 40Lb power pro or wire as bite tippet (12"-18").

The thread furled leaders that I have bought in the past arent stiff enough. I have tried using 40 lb (PP) -> 20lb (PP) -> 8lb (fluoro) to 40lb (PP) or wire, but wasnt really happy with that. not to mention way too many knots. i far prefer furled to knotted leaders.

The other option is furled fluoro or mono, but I havent tried them and wonder if they might be too stiff or result in a large diameter.

So the question becomes which material gives the best stiffness to diameter ratio - braid, fluorocarbon or mono?
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Joe,

Several years ago I made up a furled leader using Ande 4 pound test ( the Ande that has a pink color to it ) mono. A friend of mine has a hand held meter that he uses to test his salt water leaders for breaking strength. I wanted to break the furled leaders I had made up out of different material just to see where they broke and at what pound. The pink Ande broke at the tippet loop at 19 pounds pull!! I did not check out another one to see if this was a fluke or not. If you want, I can make one up for you out of the pink Ande mono and send it to you to test out. Just PM me your home mailing address and I will make it and send it to you. No charge, just for fun.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I just tried Berkeley Nanofil. WOW!!
    4lb is only .004" in diameter
    Works great.

Not really. I routinely use .003" mono.

cougar;
    ".003 mono" You must be using 8X tippet. Depending on the material that would make a very thin furled leader but it would only have a break strength of 3.2 - 3.7 lbs. If you use the 10/8/6 taper.
    I have used some 7X tippet material (0.004) that is rated at 3.1 lb. test so in theory the leader has 9.3 lb. break strength. That will be enough to handle most of my fishing but the suppleness of the material makes it hard to turn over large fly's or 2 fly set ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    cougar;
    ".003 mono" You must be using 8X tippet. Depending on the material that would make a very thin furled leader but it would only have a break strength of 3.2 - 3.7 lbs. If you use the 10/8/6 taper.
    I have used some 7X tippet material (0.004) that is rated at 3.1 lb. test so in theory the leader has 9.3 lb. break strength. That will be enough to handle most of my fishing but the suppleness of the material makes it hard to turn over large fly's or 2 fly set ups.

Agree. I tried a 8/10/6 and it turned over bigger flies

Most of my leaders are a 2 tone or candy striped leader. They have a clear end of about 9 inches or so. Depending on the size of the leader I will use .003, .004 or .005 mono-filament. If I am making a straight mono leader I usually use either .004 or .005 mono. I do have some .006 mono if needed. I have found that the Power Pro leaders are a bit stiff for my liking, but I have a few people that do like them primarily for heavy cover where abrasion resistance is a must. I have some 3 lb Power Pro coming in just to see how it works.

Interesting, I have some solid colors but I also offer what I call Desert Camo that goes from Tan to Camel to Dk Brown and Forest camo which is Lt Olive or Chartreuse to Olive to Olive dun. I now off some with that tip end of 12" to 8" of 4mm mono and some tiny swivels. The mono I make is out of 4mm or .004

The Desert Camo sounds interesting. Would love to see a pic of it!

+ Reply to Thread