+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Rod you Seldom Fish

Default Favorite Rod you Seldom Fish

Hi All,

Don't know why I was thinking about this, but I was thinking about my favorite rod, and that I very seldom fish it.

The rod is a Sage 389 LL, and I love to fish it. The problem is that being a 3 weight, it is difficult to use in the wind, and here in the Texas panhandle, the wind blows a lot of the time. It is also not a a good choice for throwing a large fly, and I fish a lot of streamers, some of which can be somewhat heavy. Consequently, if I think I will be using a fair size streamer at some point, or the wind is either blowing or the forecast is that it will come up, the rod stays at home.

At any rate, I wish I could fish it more, but such is life.

Do you have a favorite rod that you very seldom fish?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

Sage 9', 5 wt., Z Axis, just too much rod for most of my fishing! Last time I used it was late September 2011!

My 14' 8 weight RB Meiser two-handed rod. It's a beast of a rod, but it's really only applicable in a few situations.

I have a Sage 696 RPL that's great for tossing big, bushy dries in the wind but it's a 2-piece and a pain to travel with so it mostly gets used for shad in the spring. Luckily, I'm able to use my father-in-law's (same rod) out here in MT.

Regards,
    Scott

For me a 5 wt Sage SLT. It a beautiful rod for dry fly fishing. Hasn't seen much time on the water these past couple of years. I do take it out to the casting ponds to keep my casting rhythm in tune.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

St Croix Avid (gray blank) 8 1/2' 4wt. It is a 2 pc so for traveling purposes I tend to take my 4 pc rods. Still I will get it out a couple times a year and fish with it. This is a very nice casting rod and if I were limited to only one 4wt for the rest of my days, this would be it.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

The Lamiglas 4wt that my father built for me in 1972
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

GLX 10 wt. - love the rod, just don't have a lot of call for it...

My main stay fly rod(s) are 5 wt, so much so that I have three of them: two niners, one a fast action and the other a medium, plus an eight footer for more close quarters. These 5wts probably account for 90% of the fly fishing I do.

However, an old favorite (well, about 18 years old?), that seldom gets used ... is an 8'6", 7wt IM-6 graphite Pflueger, bought at (of all places) K-Mart. Beautiful action rod that will handle it's own performance wise against much higher priced/prestige rods. I'd use it more except as already posted, 5wt is more my everyday style. But when I do use this rod it is always a pleasant surprise - so much so that I matched it up with an old (made in the USA) #1494 Pflueger reel - great combination!

I have a Winston IM6 7' 2wt and two 3wts - A 7'6" WT and a 7'6" Biit. Nothing more fun for bluegills and other pan fish, but the Kansas wind does make it tough to bring them out.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

+ Reply to Thread