+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just for a change (bluegill recipe)

Hybrid View

Default just for a change (bluegill recipe)

I have been eating a lot of bluegills lately. I just roll them in dry Drakes batter mix with onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper added and fry them in corn oil. That is still my favorite way to fix bluegills. Today I wanted to do something different so I melted half a stick of butter and added about that much sherry. When a slice of finely diced sweet onion and a clove of minced garlic had sauted in that for a few minutes I reduced the heat and poached my fillets in it for ten minutes while turning once. I was able to do two batches of twelve fillets though I don't think I could have done any more without adding more butter and sherry. I'd take a picture but the fish all disappeared.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

no pics and it didn't happen. Sounds like you had a good meal.

For something completely different, try filleting your gills...

When the skin is removed, the meat taste totally different...Lighter, cleaner, not at all like a gill...

Not that ther is anything wrong with the flavor of a gill cooked with in its skin.

sounds delicious. i love bluegill but can't filet them (or any fish) worth a darn. would be better off using a brick than a knife sometimes.

I agree, I fillet all my fish (not trout) and they have a great taste.
    Sounds like you have found a new way to cook your bream.

Quote Originally Posted by dpenrod View Post
    i love bluegill but can't filet them (or any fish) worth a darn. would be better off using a brick than a knife sometimes.
    The only way to learn to filet fish is to do it. We all messed up a lot as beginners and I still will get an occasional two piece fillet.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

RBC is right, you need to start with a good sharp flexible blade. I have a brother in law that catches crappies with zippers on them, there is not way you can clean a fish that fast. Of course, he cleans over a thousand most years. I have a young lady friend a freshman in college majoring in biology preparing to apply to medical school who can unzip them pretty well I think. Probably make a heck of a surgeon.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

About the only fresh water fish I filet is bass (usually small mouth) and that is because of the method used for cooking. Now, as for gills, any ole fisherman worth his salt KNOWS fish taste better cooked with their heads on. About the only way you will prove this to yourself is the taste test. Cook one each, with head on and another without, in the same pan, corn mealed or floured the same way, and have at it. By the way, a fileted gill (IMO), not even in the same league.

This year I finally learned the art of filleting small fish which came out of necessity with a large mess of Crappie a group of 4 of us caught this spring. We had a big fish fry and none of the other guys felt confident with a knife. I found a great video on youtube and followed it to the letter. I have since carried this over to some gills and it works great. I simply fillet the fish (works best if the fish have been iced down for a while but not frozen), soak the fillets in water as I clean them.Pat them gently dry on paper towels, then soak them in an egg/milk wash while heating up the pan and grease. Dust them with 50/50 mix of flour and cornmeal season with Tony Cachere's or sometimes just salt and black pepper, and fry them til just crisp. Scrumptious!
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    About the only fresh water fish I filet is bass (usually small mouth) and that is because of the method used for cooking. Now, as for gills, any ole fisherman worth his salt KNOWS fish taste better cooked with their heads on.
    Skin or no skin? And if skin, how do you get around it? Yucky sounding.
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

+ Reply to Thread