+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It was bound to happen sooner or later

Hybrid View

Default It was bound to happen sooner or later

I caught my FIRST fish on a fly rod earlier today , a 5" sunfish, on a black sponge spider with white legs on my home lake. Was using my TFO 8'6" Pro special with an Orvis Clearwater reel. The little bugger had been slapping at the spider for several minutes, guess I ticked him off enough throwing it back at him time and time again he finally gave in. Had several other slaps/misses but no more hook ups with the fly rod. No pics, left the phone in the truck, but I'll remember how he looked for a long time. Also caught a 10" bass while shooting some docks close by.

I took my Ride 115 today to see if I could FF from the yak, and had watched a couple of utube videos and picked up some pointers on that, and the tips seem to work for me anyways. I even got brave enough to attempt to stand up in yak, and was successful in standing up AND no tipping over either. I still have some learning to do on the standing up part, well, on the FF'g as well, but I'm gonna mark this day down as successful.

Congrats on the first fly rod catch, I think you will enjoy all fish caught while fly fishing just as you did your first. Sounds like you had a great day all around

Congrats on the first fish!

I'm a kayaker as well. Honestly, I think that is a perfect platform for fly fishing. Combine the stealth of a kayak with the presentation of fly fishing, and it's an absolute hoot for catching!

Awesome Jimp; I remember that moment for me too. Some of my friends don't understand, but I'd rather cast a fly rod all day and catch nothing than throw bait and pull in fish after fish.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Sounds like an excellent day! Something tells me that spinning rod's going to collect a lot of dust!

A lot more fun on the fly rod, aren't they?

Jimp, Congratulations, bream can be a lot of fun. The surprise bass are a bonus not to mention the catfish and grass carp or common carp you may encounter. I have a neighbor who has made the mistake of asking me to introduce him to flyfishing, he also moved from flyrod owner to flyfisherman recently. I am not as hardcore as Prairieschooner, reeling in fish after fish is still fun to me, but my spinning and casting rods are covered with dust. Oh, congrats on not turning over the yak, I am the resident crash test dummy.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Yeah, I'm not so sure I would prefer casting a fly rod all day with no hook ups over catching fish after fish either. That would be a tough one and would probably pick the multiple fish day as well. It was a satisfying day for sure to see the end result of catching something on the fly rod tho. I doubt my spinning rods will gather much dust as I fish for crappie quite a bit, went yesterday as a matter of fact. LOL.

+ Reply to Thread