+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It was bound to happen sooner or later

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    is a level leader (mono) the easiest to learn/practice with? And a 1/32 is gonna hurt when it hits, hook or no hook. LOL
    Tapered leaders are better for fishing and are not really harmed by practice unless you pop of the end. Knotted tapered leaders work fine if you can tie good knots, furled are better for fishing, IMHO. Better to do that in the yard than lose a working fly. Yes there is likely to be minor pain, frequently in the back of the head, from a 1/32 oz. piece of metal regardless. One of the reason I wear brimmed hat is it protects the ears from the sun and the fly.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Tapered leaders are better for fishing and are not really harmed by practice unless you pop of the end. Knotted tapered leaders work fine if you can tie good knots, furled are better for fishing, IMHO. Better to do that in the yard than lose a working fly. Yes there is likely to be minor pain, frequently in the back of the head, from a 1/32 oz. piece of metal regardless. One of the reason I wear brimmed hat is it protects the ears from the sun and the fly.

LOL so true!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    .... One of the reason I wear brimmed hat is it protects the ears from the sun and the fly.
    Same with me!!!

i have fly fished nearly 50 years but just discovered the kayak. both of them still "light my fire". i agree with the earlier post about the boat being an excellent fishing platform and fly fishing from them probably should be against the law. welcome and tight lines to you!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Welcome to the club. I warn you, fly fishing (and fly tying as well) are very additive.

A five weight rod can cast a fairly big fly a #8 I cast on my 3 and 2 weight rods. Catching pan fish is especially fun on 1-2 & 3 weight rods. I mainly used to fish a 5 weight but now go with the ultra lights. Taking nothing away from your 5 weight and your enjoyment of fly fishing. Look at Lefty Kreh fly casting video's will help you or get with a knowledgeable fly caster/instructor.
    Good luck and stick with it, I am also a self taught fly caster. Don't give up it is a wonderful method of fishing, I have left conventional fishing long ago.

thanks for all the moral support guys, you just want to drag me deeper into this pit don't ya. LOL

Just wait. It gets worse!

I do not limit the ways in which I fish. I fly fish. I use "hardware". I bait fish. I pour my own sinkers. I tie my own flies. I even make my own in-line spinnerbaits. I will modify some store-bought hair-pin style spinners. I've got enough parts that I could start assembling my own Carolina rig shortcuts for bass fishing.

Knowing my luck, in a year or two, I'll be tying fishing rods as well.......

ok, where is the straight jacket and padded room. ROFLO. I'm no where near that bad, no where near that bad, no where near that bad. Actually, I'm not, I don't do anything other than have way too many rods for the different types of fishing I do. Just like the many/several variations of fly fishing, there are numerous ways (styles or methods) to catch crappie, and some styles suggest at least 8 rods (if legal in your state) to fish that method. Figure it up, a rod, a reel and line, x8, then all the different lures, plus the boat, motor, trailer, special trolling motor, special rod holders (you are using 8 rods remember), and the fish finders with 12" screens, DS/SI/GPS, have to have at least 2 of these too.

+ Reply to Thread