+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It was bound to happen sooner or later

Microjigs can be killer, one of the largest bass I have caught on a flyrod was on a 1/124 oz. jig. Bass about 5 1/2 lb. made for interesting few minutes.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Congrats! Now just relax and learn, since you got the monkey off your back! Crappie can be a blast on the fly. Some of my better crappie have come off a small black leech and #10 Clouser minnow. Even during the summer, they will chase bait into the shallows! But I am also a BIG believer in using "the right tool for the job", and sometimes that is not a fly rod. I am also becoming a huge fan of slip corks and a simple mallard flank jig.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Haven't seen any 1/124 micro jigs, will have to look.

Is a #8 wooly bugger too "large" for a 5wt, how bout a #10 WB ??

Got the yak in the truck and going after work, we'll see what happens today.

I have tied and used many No. 8 bugger with my 5 wt. BTW, I got the 1/124 at BPS, they have about a No. 10 hook, they cast well and are not deadly it you do a chuck and duck and don't duck. The 1/124 oz are toward the bottom of the page. http://www.basspro.com/White-River-F.../product/3085/
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 06-19-2013 at 11:06 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Haven't seen any 1/124 micro jigs, will have to look.

Is a #8 wooly bugger too "large" for a 5wt, how bout a #10 WB ??

Got the yak in the truck and going after work, we'll see what happens today.
    Heavens no..... tie them on and give them a ride.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

well, tied 'em on and did not do well at all in the casting department, pretty ugly but gonna keep at it. For some reason, I'm determined to learn this FF thing. All I seem to be able to cast halfway decent/consistently are poppers and sponge spiders. I can get somewhat decent casts with the micro jigs but not consistently.

Get in your back yard and learn to cast the flyrod using no flies, just the line and leader. Once you get use to casting the line start casting with old flies with the hook points cut off so they won't grab hold to anything and keep working your way up in weight until you can cast a 1/32 on a 5wt. Learning to do this takes time, don't get caught up in trying to make long cast but try to make a good short cast. Distance will come in time.

I stand up fly fishing in my Ride 135 all the time. You will learn to trust the stability. The Ride is a super-stable hull designed for fishing. Keep at it.

Crappies caught on a fly rod from your kayak taste better than crappies caught any other way.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

is a level leader (mono) the easiest to learn/practice with? And a 1/32 is gonna hurt when it hits, hook or no hook. LOL

Nothing wrong with mono, especially for practice, when using heavier flies cast with an open loop.
    The tapered leader turns over the fly better when using heavier flies.

+ Reply to Thread