Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column for June 10 to 17, 2013

This week we talk about fly fishing. You knew I would get here eventually; didn't you.

I find fly fishing is often a misunderstood sport, even by some who have taken it up. Fly fishing as defined on page 88, of our BC Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis; is angling with a line to which only an artificial fly is attached. Notice there is no mention of presentation or type of fishing rod to be used. This leaves a great latitude of possibilities, between the very basics of hand lining and the advanced skill of spey casting. I would like to believe fly fishing predates bait fishing; but that is only wishful thinking on my part. The artificial fly does however predate things such as: spoons, plugs, sinners and all other forms of hard tackle. Written records bare witness to the use of the artificial fly as far back as the Third Century BC.

So what is the ideology behind fly fishing? In short two things: thought and challenge. I believe Brian Chan said it best, when he said,

"Fly fishing is a thinking man's game."

The purpose of an artificial fly is to replicate whatever food source a fish, or school of fish, may be feeding on, as closely as humanly possible. Or as I explain it in my fly fishing classes; to match the blue plate special of the day, at the fish food caf?. The Objective of this exercise is fool fish, the challenge is to fool them consistently throughout the season, and in all the seasons to come. Fly fishing; it's a captivating game that never gets old no matter how long you play it.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is good. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Bloodworm, Nations Black, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Wooly Worm, Pumpkin Head, Micro Leach, Doc Spratley, Halfback, Sixpack, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry (floating) fly action try: Lady McConnel, Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Double Hackled Peacock, Royal Coachman, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, Black Ant, or Elk Hair Caddis. For kokanee try: Scarlet Ibis, San Juan Worm, Double Trude, Blood Worm, Kokanee Thriller, Kokanee Zonker, or Red Spratley.

Our lower Mainland bass and panfish fishing slow to fair. For Bass try: Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Gomphus Bug, Crayfish, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Lefty's Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Bucktail, Hair Frog, Poppers, Chernobyl Ant, or Stimulator. For Panfish try smaller (size 12 to 16) versions of the above.

Most interior lakes are fishing very well. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Halfback Nymph, Baggy Shrimp, Pumpkin Head, Wooly Bugger, Big Black, Dragon Nymph, Sixpack, 52 Buick, or Doc Spratley. For dry fly fishing try: Lady McConnel, Tom Thumb, Black Ant, Water Boatman, Adams, Irresistible, Renegade, or Elk Hair Caddis.