Thread: Kickapoo River, Wisconsin fishing

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    For the past few years I have been working my way through the book " Trout Unlimited's Guide to America's 100 Best Trout Streams". I have tried to fish any of these streams whenever I've found myself close to one of them.

This coming weekend my wife and I will be in the Madison/LaCrosse, Wisconsin area and I will have a little time for some fishing. One of the 2 Wisconsin rivers listed in the above mentioned book is the West Fork, Kickapoo River which is a short drive from LaCrosse.

Anyone have any insight into this river? Thanks.

Royce
    I thought it was Black Earth Creek that was in the Top 100.

If your heart is set on the W. Fork, you're going to drive out of Madison/Middleton on the 14 to Readstown and then turn north. It's been a few years since I've fished it but prime fishing was upstream of Mike's Bar (I think that was highway S, but I won't vouch for that) to the West Fork Sportmen's Club in the town of Avalanche (it's a camp site). Maybe a little more to either side.

The entire Kickapoo drainage would be in anybody's top 5 (that's if you can handle very narrow, and usually overgrown creeks). I'd suggest going to the DNR website and pulling up the trout regs and the trout map. Anything in Red or Green is going to do you well if it's in shape.

Check out driftlessangler.com for latest fishing reports. This is a good shop as well (about 10 miles west of Readstown on Hwy 14 in the very, very cute town of Viroqua).

There was a lot of rain yesterday. If nothing's coming to the top this weekend, think about SJWs. Wisconsin farm boys have been fishing worms after rains for generations. You should too. Go local with a Pink Squirrel on the point and the SJW off the bend.
    Last edited by Steven; 06-13-2013 at 09:37 PM.