+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horrible dubbing material

Hybrid View

Default Horrible dubbing material

wondering if any one can suggest an approach to dubbing this horrible synthetic material that i bought expressly for its color. the strands are like stiff wire bristles so that I can never get a good thread "noodle". thought about putting it into a coffee grinder and giving it a whirl a few times to see if I can't get it to break up to shorter strands. ..........HELP!

I fairly certain that putting it into a coffee grinder will not make the strands any shorter. I fins that stiff dubbing materials, especially if they tend to be made from slick material are best used when mixed with a softer finer dubbing material or in a dubbing brush. What is the brand and product is the material. If you include that information others may be able to offer you more specific recommendations. Jim Smith

Try blending in some rabbit or other long soft fur. The long, soft hairs will help to hold and somewhat "tame" your synthetic.

I would use a blender half full of water with a few drops of liquid detergent (any brand) and "blend" the two materials for about 15 -20 seconds.

Drain in a wire strainer and rinse well under the faucet.

Pat dry with a few paper towels and allow to dry.

This would not chop the materials too much and will evenly blend the two materials.

the product is distributed by Cascade Crest Tools and the dubbing is part of their Master Bright line, Rusty Orange is the color.

AlanB Guest

If you don't have a coffee grinder, or fear the material melting in one. Get hold of a small tin with a good lid, and a nut (the sort an engineer would use not a cashew). Put the dubbing and the nut in the tin, pop the lid on and shake. The more you shake it the softer the dubbing will get.
    Cheers,
    A.

Consider avoiding the anxiety. Throw it away, start over. Spend your time making up your own blend of colors using materials of better handling properties. I have been there. Good luck
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 06-10-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    If you don't have a coffee grinder, or fear the material melting in one. Get hold of a small tin with a good lid, and a nut (the sort an engineer would use not a cashew). Put the dubbing and the nut in the tin, pop the lid on and shake. The more you shake it the softer the dubbing will get.
    Cheers,
    A.
    Never heard or thought of doing this with dubbing but making a small tumbler is a great tip!

Quote Originally Posted by fritz View Post
    wondering if any one can suggest an approach to dubbing this horrible synthetic material that i bought expressly for its color. the strands are like stiff wire bristles so that I can never get a good thread "noodle". thought about putting it into a coffee grinder and giving it a whirl a few times to see if I can't get it to break up to shorter strands. ..........HELP!
    Depends on the look&feel you want to end up.

Do not overlook split thread (or dubbing loop)

Mixing in some softer material, such as rabbit, may make the mic more manageable.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

After looking at this product on their website, I feel confident that Don's Rope dubbing technique will work perfectly.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Can you give me a website to purchase some, or some photos? I'll buy some and send you some samples. Rope dubbing is the way to go for impossible synthetics, straight from the bag to the hook with no wax, loops, split threads, and in seconds. I have about every dubbing on the market and then some, and everything has rope-dubbed so far.

+ Reply to Thread