+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cane duplicated???

Default Cane duplicated???

Ok,if a cane rod builder builds 2 of the same rods, do they cast the same? Or can you feel a differance in them. I got to thinking about my new Bill T rod and love it and thought, no prob. if something happens to it , I can get him to build me another. then I got to thinking again, (I guess the thinking thing gets me in alot of trouble) that they are hand made, even though the same taper is used and all, there still is human judgment, dif. cane quality, etc, and in tying my flies I can have a good run, and then, well, some not so good, any thoughts on this ???

Can I rest at night? LOL

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...

[This message has been edited by Grubb (edited 19 April 2005).]
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Thanx, JC, Sir, now I don't have to worry. Ya know I was fishin that dang thing today, and it don't like weight, it's a purist I think, lol, guys up and below me catching fish using splitshot to get there fly down deeper. I tried it and I thought I was gonna have to take my rod to the Hospital, and that one crack sound of the splitshot hitting the rod, NOOO!!! Casting splitshot with this cane was not good, switched back to traditional fly's, My rod was happy and so was I, I enjoyed casting it that way...

------------------
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

You shouldn't have to worry. A decent bamboo rod maker should is making rods to such close measurements that they should be able to duplicate the rod nearly the same. No two bamboo rods are exactly the same, but could you tell the difference? I doubt it.

Enjoy that rod! Do you know what the taper of it is?

Scott T

I just know it's a W.R.Taylor 7'6 5wt Martha Maria... I guess Martha Maria is the taper.

------------------

Hey Grubb..I think the Martha Marie is a taper actually developed by Paul Young. originally built as a 7 1/2' 2 piece in a 5 or 6 wt I believe. Beautiful action, a little on the slow side but lots of reserve power. Lots of people have built that taper over the years, it's definitely a keeper....

Is it Marie, or Maria, I guess Marie is correct, I just thought Maria was correct...oh well, I'v been corrected twice now, sooo,anyhoo yes, I would describe the action just as you said dleo6446, I like the slow action, cause I need the time, and then, if I get a little frustratted and put some ump'f on it, it responds...

------------------

Ya'll know, this is beginning to sound, like, a, relationship... Hmmm, (this is true) if you all read my post on the sound off BB, the gentilman
    said, it seems a little top heavy, and I came so very close to saying, well yeah, hence the name of the rod. "S" But I didn't, I enjoyed his company and conversation, and his years on the stream...

------------------

Grubb, here is some info on your Martha Marie form Hex Rod taper archive. By the way, does your wife know about Martha?....When mine found out that Martha was a parabolic she really started getting concerned....lol

Design Report
    Paul Young Martha Marie - 7ft 6in 3pc 5wt

Paul Young Martha Marie - 7ft 6in 3pc 5wt.
    Posted by Tom Smithwick, Aug 4, 1997
    Varnish of 0.006 subtracted.
    Parameter Value
    Geometry Hex
    Rod Length: 7 ft 6 in (=90 inches)
    Action Length 6 ft 8 in (= 80 inches)
    Line Weight 5
    Pieces 3
    Line Fished 30 ft
    Tip Factor 1.411
    Ferrule Type: Standard
    Ferrule Sizes: Computed
    Ferrule 1 Size 10/64
    Rod is 10.24/64 (0.160 Inches) at 30.00 in from tip
    Wt approx 0.162 oz.
    Ferrule 2 Size 15/64
    Rod is 15.30/64 (0.239 Inches) at 60.00 in from tip
    Wt approx 0.358 oz.
    Point
    (Inches) Dimension
    (Inches) Stress
    0 0.076 -
    5 0.079 124385
    10 0.099 131886
    15 0.112 143281
    20 0.114 190732
    25 0.144 124804
    30 0.160 115858
    35 0.174 117270
    40 0.186 120853
    45 0.204 112670
    50 0.212 121458
    55 0.229 115087
    60 0.239 119679
    65 0.252 123402
    70 0.269 120668
    75 0.279 127063
    80 0.319 98916

dleo6446 dang... thank you Sir, once again, no, I'm overly impressed. You took the time to not only know that, but take also the time to type it in... I don't understand even close to half of what you said, but I'm thankful you took the time to do so... All I know really is that I got a Bamboo cane rod, that knows more than I do, and that I can respect, it teaches me, as I learn... FAOL "S"

------------------

[This message has been edited by Grubb (edited 21 April 2005).]

PS: I don't even have a wife, you can call home and ask my garage... 'S" again...lol

------------------

+ Reply to Thread