+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrapping problem

Default Wrapping problem

I haven't built that many graphite rods, maybe 25 or 26 at the most. But tonight, I was wrapping a guide on a rod and the graphite just collapsed??? I'm thinking something really wierd going on here, then I thought that I had too much tension on the thread but Pearsall's Naples is a 00 thread and that will only have a tensile strength of may 2 pounds at the most. Have any of you ever seen anything like that happen before or experienced anything like that before?

Is this a new blank or reclaimed/rebuilt? Sometimes if acetone is used for cleaning up a rod for rebuilding(getting old epoxy off), it can get inside the outer finish and delaminate the blank. Otherwise, it sounds like a manufacturing defect or a place where the blank was crushed just a bit(maybe not visibly).
    -Art

I have to agree with JC and cross creek on this one, however in my opinion is seems most likely that the thread tension is the culprit here. I read that this can be a common mistake, although it has never happened to me. I build graphite and glass rods and repair many each year that have gone thru tremendous wear......no collapses. Just a tip for those that use it.....get rid of the Acetone and use rubbing alcohol for cleaning rod blanks.

------------------
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

This was a new blank, not a second, or a reclaim, and it comes from an very good company as well. I had read somewhere that thread could crush a blank, and I can see that if one is using something like a nylon in an A,B, C...etc size. Naples is so light though. the tensile of Naples is only like 1.8lbs.

This blank comes from a quality vendor, and I hope that they will give me some clue as to what happened here. I guess my biggest concern is that if it is something I did, I would love to correct that.

If you do find the problem when you send the blank back, please let us know. It seems to me here had to be a flaw in the blank at that point. Allyn

I will let everyone know, especially if it is something I did...I am hopeful they can just replace the tip since I have the reelseat and cork already on the butt section.

I don't have any clue but I sure do have a lot of sympathy for you! Bummer!

Sounds like a defect to me. They should give you a replacement without any problems.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

Well, wish I could share more with everyone on what caused it but so far, I haven't heard from the vendor. I would like to think that they are attending a show, or are out in the rivers like most of us would like to be and are not just simply ignoring the issue...

Well, today marks the end of week two of the ongoing saga of the broken tip and the failure on the part of the vendor, (name intentionally withheld at this time) to even respond to inquiries on how to get another tip, or to find out what happened to this one....there have been a total of 6 emails that I have sent this vendor, and called 4 times at various times during the day, only leaving messages once with phone numbers and email addresses, and not even so much as a "sorry" from them....

+ Reply to Thread