+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Rent ...

Hybrid View

Arrow For Rent ...

... two waterfront October Caddis units on scenic Northern Idaho freestone river.

Actually, these are not for rent - but they could serve as models for a cased October Caddis, if you are thinking about creating something along those lines. The pic doesn't clearly show it, but the walls of these cases are very thin, and they are surprisingly sturdy.

Finding these was really strange. They were just sitting on the nearly flat surface of a rock about a foot away from the current high water mark and a good foot above it. The only way they could have gotten there, I think, is being deposited during runoff, which has been on the wane on this crick for several weeks now. But how they managed to come to rest in that particular spot and how they managed to stay there for who knows how long is fascinating.

Thinking about maybe supergluing the outside and then epoxying a hook inside. Would nymphing with that kind of set up be considered bait fishing ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Yes, John, I think it would. There are artificial patterns.....
    I think it would be "akin" to gluing a nymphal shuck to a hook.
    To me, the particular pleasure of fly fishing is in trying to "fool" a fish by using artificial representations of the various stages of aquatic insects. If the biggest pleasure was in catching a bunch of fish, I would defer to bait fishing, but the level of fun, and self satisfaction, I think, would drop markedly........
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 06-07-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Blog Entries

At several fly tying shows I have seen some great looking realistic Cased Caddis flies that were tied using more traditional fly tying materials and they looked great. However, along with most other 'realistic flies', I believe they belong in a display case and not out on the water. Most realistic type flies take so much time to create that it would be a shame to fish them. Create some great looking fly plates and sell them or put them in a display case. Don't fish them, the fish will easily take non-realistic type flies that don't take a tenth of the time to create. Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

Larry,
    What you say MUST be true, because they take my flies!
    Byron

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post

Thinking about maybe supergluing the outside and then epoxying a hook inside. Would nymphing with that kind of set up be considered bait fishing ??
    Someone already beat you to that (sort of) ... http://www.danica.com/flytier/dsmith/stone_case_caddis_larva.htm

Blog Entries

John,
    I've seen that before. I have seen guys glue a blob of sand particles together. That seems close to the line to me.

Quote Originally Posted by johnstoeckel View Post
    Someone already beat you to that (sort of) ... http://www.danica.com/flytier/dsmith/stone_case_caddis_larva.htm

Would be a great fly to use on streams not allowing any weight..that one's gotta sink like a ..... Wait for it .... stone.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I remember REE posting a fly he tied, I think he said he used small stones from a miniature rail road set, I tried to find the post but couldn't. I remember I was so flabbergasted, a fly made from rocks. There is a whole lot about this fly fishing that I know nothing about, and I really like that. Someone posted this site also in an earlier thread about the OC, they use a "dark mottled sparkle chenille" for the case...
    http://www.flytyer.com/index.php?opt...976&Itemid=100
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Blog Entries

REe fotw was called cased caddis I would post a link but am on my nexus and dont know how

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread