+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More Questions

Hybrid View

Default More Questions

Tried the bream again this evening. Got to the pond at 4:00 - caught fish on the first 3 casts and they kept bitting for about an hour. Missed or lost only a few fish - did much better per hook up. Caught 16 mostly subsurface and then they turned off although I could see fish in the clear shallow water. Still they would nip at my floating spiders but not take them and once in a while I would get a bump on the wets but no takes. When bream git picky on your favorite flies what do you try - different colors, different size, etc.? What retrieves work best for you? This is my 3rd season fly fishing and I had to figure it out as best I could. I am self taught so I'm sure my casting is terrible but I still catch a few fish usually. I tie my own flies - simple stuff that look crude but usually the fish don't care. I am 77 so I got into fly fishing late but I really enjoy it and work hard trying to catch fish. Any tricks or special techniques you can suggest that will help catch more fish will be appreciated. Thanks for the help you have already given me. Guy

Guy, Are you buying flies or rolling your own? I have had good success with a minnow look alike below my popper or hopper, actually Memorial day weekend I did well with a supped up spider ( I added wings of deer hair and ground cover material.

Check your inbox, I sent you a PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Mohair leeceh, pheasant tail nymph, prince nymph, black wooly bugger size 10 and olive thats what i use the most.

I try microjigs under an indicator when fish aren't visible...keep trying deeper until you find them.
    When I know fish will be shallow, unweighted nymph patterns, leeches and Woolly buggers work great. Blacks and browns, sometimes orange. Black or yellow Boa Yarn Leeches catch a lot of Bluegills for me.
    Sometimes...fish want something at/on the surface, so a foam Gurgle Pop or Chernobyl Ant/Hopper is usually very effective.

Vary your pattern/presentation until the fish tell you that you've figured them out!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

The best retrieve for a rubber spider is often no retrive at all. Leave it sit for at least a minute and then just switch it. Leave it set for a bit and twitch it again. If you don't get a hit shortly after the second twitch I would pull it forward a ways and repeat the process. When casting to visible fish remember that they are probably a little farther from you than they appear to be due to the refraction of light in the water.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

if you tie your own, this has been great for me this year: http://www.flyfishfood.com/2013/04/l...ill-snack.html

+ Reply to Thread