Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column for June 3 to 10, 2013

I hope you are finding this present series thought provoking. I know this study is giving me a deeper appreciation for the vast opportunity all sport fishers have in sharing the fisheries of our province. Now before I get in another completely different direction let's get on with this week's sub category; bank fishing.

To the novice the prospect of bank fishing, also know as shore fishing, is not exciting. Yet a well seasoned angler, who has taken the time to scout out effective areas, will tell you bank fishing can be as productive as any other method and a lot less work.

Up until thirty one years ago, I was among those who believed bank fishing was a waste of time; unless you were stream fishing. My thoughts were changed one evening when my friend Larry and I were camped at a popular lower mainland lake. After we had put the canoe up for the night, I saw Larry casting off shore. I promptly told him he would never catch a fish that way. To which he responded,

"I have already had some bites."

That was enough for me, and I forthwith began fishing alongside Larry catching more fish, over the next hour, than we had caught in the previous three. In the years that have passed since that evening, there been many times when I have left my watercraft on the truck, or the trailer, and fished from the bank. As well there have been times when I've beached my craft to fish from the bank, astounding some on lookers. During my experimentations with bank fishing, observation and experiences have taught me, that from dusk through evening many large predatory trout move into the shallows to hunt their prey. Fishing in close at these times, in as little as a foot of water, under the cover of darkness is one of the best method I have found to hunt trophy trout.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is good. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Bloodworm, Nations Black, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Wooly Worm, Pumpkin Head, Micro Leach, Doc Spratley, Halfback, Sixpack, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry (floating) fly action try: Lady McConnel, Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Double Hackled Peacock, Royal Coachman, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, Black Ant, or Elk Hair Caddis. For kokanee try: Scarlet Ibis, San Juan Worm, Double Trude, Blood Worm, Kokanee Thriller, Kokanee Zonker or Red Spratley.

Our lower Mainland bass and panfish fishing slow to fair. For Bass try: Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Gomphus Bug, Crayfish, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Lefties Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Bucktail, Hair Frog, Poppers, Chernobyl Ant, or Stimulator. For Panfish try smaller (size 12 to 16) versions of the above.

Most interior lakes are fishing well. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Halfback Nymph, Baggy Shrimp, Pumpkin Head, Wooly Bugger, Big Black, Dragon Nymph, Sixpack, 52 Buick, or Doc Spratley. For dry fly fishing try: Lady McConnel, Tom Thumb, Black Ant, Water Boatman, Adams, Irresistible, Renegade, or Elk Hair Caddis.