+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saw a different type of Kayak /canoe while visiting Florida

Hybrid View

Default Saw a different type of Kayak /canoe while visiting Florida

I saw what I think was a kayak/ canoe type of boat while out with a fishing guide in Fla awhile back. I believe it was a Hobie product that is moved by pedal power. I really would like more info as to availability, cost, etc and have wondered why these items never seem to show up for sale or as previously owned sale items. Are they still manufactured? I would think that they would be as popular with the fresh water enthusiasts as well as the saltwater group. Anybody have info they can share? Thanks, Gerri

gerri,

This may be what you saw:

http://www.kayakshed.com/hobie-kayak...aks-pro-angler

Nice, but, rather expensive plus the fins coming out the bottom create a problem in a river situation due to shallow water. It can be done.

You might look at this:

http://www.nucanoe.com/

I own and use the Frontier 12 and really enjoy it. It sells for about half of what the Hobie is.

Above furnished for info only.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Native water craft has a pedal kayak-canoe

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/m.boat.cfm?id=14

"Paddleboats" are becoming quite popular up here.
    Two friends just added them to their "fleet"
    Pros are they leave you hands free to cast and mend or stay in a current or seam

Cons- they are heavy and expensive. Fully rigged you would want to transport rightside up on a trailer.
    Can be put up on a car/truck rack but you would probably have to strip them of accessories somewhat.
    A small ATV or Jetski trailer would be perfect if long enough. Not much to tow behind any vehicle

For my money,a Nucanoe Frontier 12 and a small electric motor is easier to manage
    Last edited by Duffin Boy; 06-05-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Hi Warren, I think it was the hobie that I saw. I found the bicycle type propulsion intriguing. We were fishing back in the mangroves in a very nice guide owned boat when along came a young lady who was apparently out for exercise rather than fishing. I marveled at her bravery in being so close to the water as we had passed several alligators. None the less, the stealth abilities and quietness of such a bateau are very enticing. The price tags on the hobies are pretty steep. I want to get rid of our canoe and jon boat and replace those toys with something smaller, lighter and simpler. Hubby can't lift and carry stuff as he used to do. Thanks for your response, gerri

One uses a propeller the other thinks it's a fish; which should be the most efficient? I do believe I saw the Native back up, which I don't think you can do with the Hobie, at least not on purpose.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Some yaks can be outfitted with trolling motors and batteries, but they add weight as well. Easy to install at the bank and remove for transport but the weight is an issue.

I think Hobies are better than the Natives in the pedal dept. The leg motion you use is back and forth instead of circular. You have more strength in the back and forth and won't get fatigued as fast. True you can't back-up but you I've rarely needed to do that and just use my paddle when I do.

Bassyaks have electric kits you can add to most kayaks and they are very cool indeed if you want to go that route.

+ Reply to Thread