+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW REGULATIONS IN YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK - In the news - Jun 03, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Longs for Cutts View Post
    John:

Every prominent angler in the area I have spoken to or otherwise heard from is opposed to this (Craig Mathews, Bud Lilly, Bob Jacklin, John Bailey, and Richard Parks among them) and the park's chief of resources admitted to me that they hadn't thoroughly thought through the effects of the regulations on rivers like the Gardner and Gallatin, which have long had thoroughly mixed populations of fish and no clear way of keeping non-natives out (the whole lower Gardner is only about 10 miles long and there are no fish barriers below this) rather than rivers like Slough Creek, with a preponderance of cutthroats that face threats that have developed recently and areas where fish barriers can be constructed.
    Don't all of these people run shops/guides, and have a vested interest in the "more fish is better" philosophy?

And I like the "place for natives" philosophy...considering that's what the NPS was set up for...preservation
    Last edited by maodiver; 06-13-2013 at 04:06 AM.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

"The National Park Service will preserve and protect the natural resources, processes, systems, and values of units of the national park system in an unimpaired condition to perpetuate their inherent integrity and to provide present and future generations with the opportunity to enjoy them." National Park Service Management Policies 2006
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

And to quote my #2 son who is a Aquatic Wildlife Biologist ...

"I'd be more worried about tourists knowing the difference between a cutthroat and rainbow."

We will be there in September again to test the waters.

Why is it that only those "opposed" to this regulation are labelled a "special interest group"?

Maybe I'm not as prone as others to simply throw my dog in the hunt based on a "Scientific Based Management", since I've seen too many debacles with that banner being waved. Far too often those "other groups" (including the biologists) are as much or more prone to be driven by special interests than any outdoorsman group involved.

Blog Entries

John I think it is safe to say we have very different World views... And I will leave it at that.

Blog Entries

Well played!

Happy Fadder's Day!

+ Reply to Thread