+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hate epoxy-what to use

Default hate epoxy-what to use

I hate epoxy. Don't like the smell of it, don't like to work with it, seems like it is sort of hit or miss as to whether or not it will cure properly. What can I use on guide wraps in place of epoxy on graphit rods? I'm not concerened so much with apperence.
    What can be used in the place of epoxy the will bond the wraps without harming the blank?

My buddy Wangler uses some sort of poly on his because he likes the final appearance. Hopefully he'll chime in with his reasoning and technique. JGW

Measuring and mixing correctly, 2 part rod epoxy such as FlexCoat is the correct thing to use, but the choice remains yours. Its your rod, use what you want. One manufacturer of mass produced rods used shrink tubing to hold on their rod guides. This tubing was then coated with some type of varnish.

------------------
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

4. Default

You can use the 1 part urethane stuff ( U-40?) or you can use "old fashioned" rod varnish by Gudebrod or others or even Helmsman spar varnish. The varnishes are reported to yellow with age. I think varnish is easier to control (get the right "thickness") than epoxy but be prepared to apply multiple coats.

Blog Entries

Depends how sophisticated you want to get.
    Dont take much to hold on guides. Clear nail polish will even work. U40 works well also.

Like the man stated above, multiple coats will be needed for either. It wont provide the smooth shrink wrap look of Flex coat, but will definetly do the job and look fine.

I used a clear nail polish (SH) containing nylon on a graphite rod about 2 years ago. It's held up just fine under frequent use, so far. I liked the low build vs the football shaped glob of epoxy you frequently see.

Jim

5 coats of color preserver and 3 coats of varnish. 24 hours between each .... epoxy may be easier... lol

Rich

Thanks guys, thats the info I was looking for. Didn't want to use something and have it melt through the graphite.

Varnish! I use that on my bamboo rods and it holds the guides on just fine.

I use the Varathane 900 varnish. It's best to use 3-5 thin coats to cover the wraps. You apply the varnish until you can't see the bumps from the thread.

Cheers,

Scott T

+ Reply to Thread