+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Retro Crippled Caddis...

Default Retro Crippled Caddis...

Done up with some new materials...

The bug...

The materials...

A batch for the Hydropsyche hatch...

Some little kid who caught a bunch of Golden Trout, on this pattern, up on the South Fork of the Kern River, in Monache Meadows...back in the day...

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 06-02-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

PT,

Very cool fly and interesting design; always looking for something different to throw at them during the hatch. I can think of a few places to try that this summer.

Regards,
    Scott

Scott,

I first found this pattern in a Fly Shop called "Lords of the Fly" on Wilshire Blvd. on the Westside of LA, in 1985. I have used it in streams, rivers and lakes in the Sierras, Montana and Colorado over the years. It consistently takes Trout during and after a hatch. I am currently doing an updated series of these...with materials that did not exist then...

...in Chartreuse..the plain Jane version...

...in Pink, UV2/CDC

Amber,Olive, Gray, Brown, Purple and #20 in Black...why?...'cause they just (more than) plain work...

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 06-03-2013 at 06:00 PM.

PT,

Yeah, the little black ones drive me crazy below THAT bridge. I'll make sure I have some of these for the hatch. Thanks again for the pics.

Regards,
    Scott

PT, do you remember the name of that pattern? I've seen it before, never fished it, but for the life of me I can't remember whose pattern it is. Nice update, will definitely have to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    PT, do you remember the name of that pattern? I've seen it before, never fished it, but for the life of me I can't remember whose pattern it is. Nice update, will definitely have to try it.
    whatfly,

The guys at Lord's of the Fly just labeled it "Crippled Caddis". I saw this pattern on a site,with a lot off different fly listings, maybe ten years ago, but neglected to save the link. One of my FB tier friends thought that it may have been created by Mike Lawson. I did a search but could not find it related to his name or patterns...in any case...it isn't one of mine.

There is a company in Kenya that has a similar tie, but I got my first bunch well before they ever existed and a couple of the samples I bought (that I didn't take apart) still fish well. Most of the stuff from Kenya starts to disintergrate after the first fish:

http://www.tyingflyfishingflies.com/...dry-flies.html

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 06-04-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks, PT.

I know I've seen this before, and I suspect I picked up a few at Mountain Hardware in Truckee 10-12 years ago, but I was too new to the game to note the name or the origins. Have to look around to see if anyone recognizes it next time I'm up there. Will definitely have to dig this one up and try it again.

+ Reply to Thread