+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TUSA rod Law suit

Hybrid View

Default TUSA rod Law suit

Last edited by Danny; 06-03-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Interesting story.
    Things "ain't what they used to be".
    Reminds me of what a friend told me who owns a fly shop. He said he was not making much selling high-end rods. Few sold and his "cut" only about 35% - depending upon the quantity he orders - and might have to sit on his inventory with new models coming out each year.
    He said the bigger sellers in his shop were the lower tiered rods. In addition, he said he could have his "own brand" manufactured in Korea and make a lot more on each rod sold as well as being able to say they were his design.................
    You wonder about patent rights. For example, is the special methodology used to make Hardy Rod's Zenith series patented? Or is it too expensive to copy?
    I suspect that rod manufacturers in Korea can make an IM6 or IM7 rod just fine and would not violate a patent?
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 05-31-2013 at 03:02 AM.

DFS said this on their Facebook page: "Tenkara Has Arrived! Our model is 13' and extends to 14' 7". Come check them out at the shop or at the sportsman's show. Identical models sell for $235. Ours is $100!"

Certainly seems to be an intent to copy and also use TUSA's prior reputation to sell the DFS rod.

Next appears to be this meeting: Scheduling/Planning Conference for 7/8/2013 at 10:30 AM in Courtroom A 502 before Magistrate Judge Michael J. Watanabe.

What a load of crap.

It's called competition. The TUSA guy apparently thinks he should control the entire "tenkara" concept in the USA and got his feelings hurt that someone else is doing the same thing now... AFTER he goes to china to get it done!! What the hell does he think his chinese compatriots do better than anyone else on earth?

Perhaps DFS could have been more careful of the wording in their advertisements, but TUSA needs to get over it and put on their big-boy pants. By their logic, there should only be one fly rod company, or one spinning rod company, one fly line company, etc.

HMMMMM, Good product which performs well and is priced at $235. Next to it is a good product which performs as well and is priced at $100.

Or perhaps I'm not reading it correctly. Is it based on the name? That would be akin to Ford saying no other motor vehicle manufacturer could call something a "car" or an "automobile".

Either way, it's another illustration of snobbery and ego which just perpetuates the perceived elitism of the fly fishing community.
    Last edited by jszymczyk; 05-31-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

It can't be a "Chinese knock-off" of a product MADE IN CHINA as the article states the TUSA rods are. It would be just a regular knock-off. LOL

IMO guy just has his panties in a twist that someone is beating him at his own game. That's pretty much what the business world IS.

He shouldn't worry, there will still be some elitist kool-aid drinkers who will be willing to spend $135 for a "Tenkara USA" sticker on their $100 Hecho en China rod blank.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jszymczyk View Post
    He shouldn't worry, there will still be some elitist kool-aid drinkers who will be willing to spend $135 for a "Tenkara USA" sticker on their $100 Hecho en China rod blank.
    Easy there Big Fella, the kool-aid folks may come a knocking.....

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

+ Reply to Thread