Thread: TUSA rod Law suit

Threaded View

I do not intend to call names or insult anyone here or anywhere else with this post. Once the lawyers become involved, it has been my experience with the legal system that usually nearly everybody involved looses except for the lawyers.

For what this worth and this is just my personal opinion, at present I own 2 Tenkara rods (a12' Iwana and the 13.5' Amago rods), 2 Keiryu rods (the 9' Daiwa Soykaze and the 12.5 and 14' 1" long 43 MF Daiwa zoom rod, one of which was considerably cheaper than any of the TUSA rods on sale while the other one was more or less cost competitive with the medium level TUSA rods). These are rods that are Japanese designed but are not made in Japan, but are superior to the TUSA rods in my view for what I use them for, and the Japanese rods are better balanced and much lighter in weight than the TUSA rods are as well. I also own 1 Seiryu rod (the Suntech 33 HM rod at 11 feet) which is a Japanese designed and made in Japan rod that I believe is vastly superior to the other rods that I own for its intended purpose, fit, finish, and in its casting qualities and abilities. But to be fair, it also is in a price class far above that of any of the other rods I own. To a large extent you get higher quality at a higher price point if you are willing to pay the higher price.

The TUSA rods have a warranty that none of the other rods I own can match, even at a much higher price point and for which replacement parts are not nearly as readily available, and it is my belief that part of the reason why the TUSA rods feel so clunky and heavy is to insure that they are strong enough that it is unlikely that their warranties will ever (or seldom) be needed. Also I believe the TUSA rods are designed to better meet our American fishing conditions and non-Japanese fishing styles and the larger average size of the fish that we catch here in the US, as compared to the average size of the trout that are caught in Japan, which are usually pretty small. So to say Daniel's rods are just a not so cheap knockoff of prior made Japanese rods, whether made in Japan or elsewhere, is not really fair or entirely correct. While he did strongly base his rod products on the Japanese Tenkara ethic model as embraced by the Japanese rod companies and their rod designers, TUSA's rods are not direct copies of any Japanese rods that I know of.

It has been said that imitation is the sincerest form of complement, but to advertise a rod as being the same thing as the top of the line TUSA rod at a much cheaper price point is either misleading or dishonest, unless the rod really is as good as they are claimimg it is. In my view the ITO rod is far from being the best rod that TUSA makes. And if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true. Let the buyer beware. And if you get what you paid for, you have no one to blame but yourself for the price you were gullible enough to pay in the hope of getting a superior product for a lot less than what a good product should cost. They say it is hard to cheat an honest man. But it is easy to cheat a greedy person. When you expect something for nothing, that's exactly what it is usually worth. I would like to see some disinterested third party (like Tom Davis) do a comparative rod review between the Ito and the DFS rod so the chips can fall where they may and we will all know where we stand with these rods for sure. That will tell us a lot more about the similarities and the differences between these two rods (and be a lot cheaper than a law suit will be) than who prevails in this frivolous law suit will tell us....Golden.
    Last edited by Golden; 06-03-2013 at 03:04 PM.