+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Wading Staff (Fly Catcher)

Hybrid View

Default Looking For Wading Staff (Fly Catcher)

There used to be a place in Oregon, I believe, that sold an aluminum wading staff called "The Fly Catcher." It telescoped out to about twice its length at the bottom end and had a heavy hook on the top to retreive flies. Does anybody know if they still make these or where I can find something similar?

Mine is not telescopic, but I got mine from Cabela's which is aluminum and "shock cored" together so it collapses down to about 10" to fit in the belt holster then pops into action when you take it out. Only paid about $30 for it from Cabela's if memory serves correct.

Steve

Steve,
    The reason I wanted that particular telescopic staff with a hook is to remove flies from trees, bushes, etc. You can extend it out and use the hook to pull a branch toward you and then grab the stuck flies.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Steve,
    The reason I wanted that particular telescopic staff with a hook is to remove flies from trees, bushes, etc. You can extend it out and use the hook to pull a branch toward you and then grab the stuck flies.
    Bruce
    Just a thought....You could always just add some sort of small screw in hook on the end of a staff. Years ago I made a telescopic staff out of an old camera monopod, would be easy to add some sort of hook if your handy with things maybe?

Steve

That's a heckuva good idea, Steve.

You may be out of luck for this particular product. I have searched and all I can find on "The Fly Catcher" wading staff was where the creator applied for a patent for this product back in the 90"s.

If I find anything else, I will let you know.

I did find this product which is what I use and carry with me while fishing. You slip it into the fly rod tip, reach up with your fly rod and hook the retriever on the limb, remove your fly rod and use the landyard to pull the limb with the fly down so you can reach it. It has worked well for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flyback-Fly-...f#ht_82wt_1141
    Last edited by WarrenP; 05-30-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    You may be out of luck for this particular product. I have searched and all I can find on "The Fly Catcher" wading staff was where the creator applied for a patent for this product back in the 90"s.

If I find anything else, I will let you know.
    Thanks, Warren

lastchance,

I edited my last post and added a product I have and use which might be something you could consider.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Interesting!
    Thanks

Hi lastchance, I second warren's suggestion. I also carry a "Flyback" with me. Purchased it from Orvis almost 25 years ago when I returned to flyfishing. Inexpensive, easy to carry in vest or shirt pocket and works well when I need it. Gerri

+ Reply to Thread