+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking For Wading Staff (Fly Catcher)

I have something similar that I copied from an Orvis device. I used the barrel from a felt tip markers, a heavy fish hook with the poin removed and some cord and epoxy to hold it to together. Slip it over the tip of the rod, hook the limb, remove the rod tip and pull the limb down. There's a piece of foam attached because it doesn't float well. Oh, yeah, you need to plug the end of the felt tip barrel.Go get it.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I have something similar that I copied from an Orvis device. I used the barrel from a felt tip markers, a heavy fish hook with the poin removed and some cord and epoxy to hold it to together. Slip it over the tip of the rod, hook the limb, remove the rod tip and pull the limb down. There's a piece of foam attached because it doesn't float well. Oh, yeah, you need to plug the end of the felt tip barrel.Attachment 12011
    Very, Very smart, Uncle Jesse

If you cast like I do, you tend to need devices like that. If you build one be sure to attach a good length of line, a little longer than your flyrod and arm is a good place to start.

fly retreev

http://www.detteflies.com/Fly_Retreev

Can't tell you if it works. I don't have one.

Wading staffs are so over priced it ain't funny.
    You can go get..........like just did, a piece of 1/2" ridid aluminum conduit and make a very nice, tough, durable and very functional wading staff and build in this feature yourself.
    There isn't much handy work required to do this that anyone couldn't do in even a minimally equipped garage. Matter of fact, out of one ten foot length of conduit, you can
    make two staffs. The one that I use here at home that I don't need to collapse is just one single piece as that is the strongest. I then ground down and old big bolt and put it
    in the end and the drove a roll pin through it to old it in place. That way I got a very good durable and replaceable tip.
    That home made fly catcher idea is definitely one of the best new things that I have seen in quite a while and I will be making up one myself.

Get the conduit and make your own, you won't be disappointed.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by HickoryShad View Post
    Wading staffs are so over priced it ain't funny.
    You can go get..........like just did, a piece of 1/2" ridid aluminum conduit and make a very nice, tough, durable and very functional wading staff and build in this feature yourself.
    There isn't much handy work required to do this that anyone couldn't do in even a minimally equipped garage. Matter of fact, out of one ten foot length of conduit, you can
    make two staffs. The one that I use here at home that I don't need to collapse is just one single piece as that is the strongest. I then ground down and old big bolt and put it
    in the end and the drove a roll pin through it to old it in place. That way I got a very good durable and replaceable tip.
    That home made fly catcher idea is definitely one of the best new things that I have seen in quite a while and I will be making up one myself.

Get the conduit and make your own, you won't be disappointed.

Joe
    Hi Joe! I do make my own out of wood. This particular aluminum model telescopes out to twice it's length to retrieve flies from trees.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by flyfysher View Post
    fly retreev http://www.detteflies.com/Fly_Retreev Can't tell you if it works. I don't have one.
    That was my inspiration for my homemade model, my cost stuff I had around the house. Several years ago, only of my neighbors was discarding one of those extension poles they use to retrieve golf balls from ponds. The cup on the end was broken. I rescued it from his trash and used the bottom two section for a wading staff, the other sections are at my mom's with a hook on the end used to pull down grapefruits, oranges and lemons from her trees.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 06-01-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Dangit........now you guys have got me to thinking how can I make a telescopic one......

When you do lose a fly IT WILL ALWAYS BE A $2 or $3 dollar fly.......your last one that you got at a fly shop 50 miles away.
    I will definitely work on something over the next couple of months and post what I come up with.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I have something similar that I copied from an Orvis device. I used the barrel from a felt tip markers, a heavy fish hook with the poin removed and some cord and epoxy to hold it to together. Slip it over the tip of the rod, hook the limb, remove the rod tip and pull the limb down. There's a piece of foam attached because it doesn't float well. Oh, yeah, you need to plug the end of the felt tip barrel.Attachment 12011

Nice UJ, If I ever cast a fly into a tree I might try this

Seriously, this would have saved my tippet and my PSC TODAY. And, it might save having to wade thru a run when I overshoot, like TODAY. Great info, thanks for posting.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

+ Reply to Thread