+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations On a Wing Burner for This Fly?

Default Recommendations On a Wing Burner for This Fly?

I'm looking to reproduce a fly given to me by a nice fellow I met while fishing Pine Creek in PA a few weeks ago. I found one, and only once, reference to this pattern on the internet and it's at this link http://www.fishingwithflies.com/Flie...eparachute.htm

This version, tied by Fred Bridge, is a really good representation of the fly given to me. The bulk of the materials are basic and things I've got in stock. What I'm finding challenging is the profile of the spent wings. I attempted to contact Mr. Bridge and naturally the e-mail in this article is no longer active. I've tried to look at all the commercially available options for wing burners and haven't seen anything that I'd say is a good match.

So, if you have any thoughts or opinions on how to recreate this particular wing profile and where I could get a burner that matches or can be modified to match, I'd appreciate it.

Here's a picture copied from the link above if that helps any. I'm looking for something that can reproduce this wing pattern in sizes 10 - 16 range.

Pine Creek Special.jpg

Thanks,
    Last edited by alra195; 05-28-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Clean up some grammer.
    Joe Bertolini

maybe you could make your own burner to match those wings:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...ps/part195.php
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

AlanB Guest

Two popsickle sticks some tape and some sandpaper will make you a wing burner of any shape in minutes.
    Cheers,
    A.

Great info guys, thanks rainbowchaser and AlenB.

In my slight variation of the process I solder the two strips together instead of using vise grip pliers. It is easier to cut and file to shape without the pliers getting in the way. When shaping is done Just heat them up to separate the pieces. Removing the solder filmup is not necessary.

Those wings look like they're easily cut to shape.

A number of years ago I was in a tying course learning to tie (upright) wings for mayflies. The tool employed to shape the wings was a set of toenail clippers. The feathers for the wings were tied in and lifted together vertically. The front edges were snipped parallel to the stem (but had a nice curve because of the clippers). Then the backside was clipped at about 45 degrees toward the tips, then the tips were cut off. The advantage - aside from a well shaped and sized wing, is that almost any feather can be used, in fact ones that are a little long make them easy to hold. It would be easy enough to squashe the wings flat and continue with the post and parachute after they wings were shaped.
    And you don't need the fuss of making wing burners or making them in different sizes. Just make sure you get nice new sharp clippers - go top shelf, get the $5 ones!
    Last edited by Greg H; 05-31-2013 at 02:25 AM. Reason: add 'squashing wings' - verifying spinner design

Lets go a step further. Many who use dries a lot are saying, "Why divide the wings?". Yet others say, ?Why have any wings at all?". So where do we go from here? Their only use is to give the fisherman something to see.

Ray,

I believe that you are right when you opine that many fly fishermen who use dries a lot are saying, "Why divide the wings?". Yet others say, Why have any wings at all?" However, it's been my observation from reading the many many posts, here and elsewhere as well as conversations on that subject, is that the majority of the 'No Wing' crowd seem to be talking about 'Duns'. The fly pattern and the question by the initial poster is about 'Spinners' and wing burners. Then again, if you pose a general question to 10 fly fishers, be prepared for 10 different and probably unproveable answers, LOL.
    Which leads me to a related question that I'll pose as a new topic.

Allan

Thanks everyone for your advise and recommendations.

RBC - really appreciate the link to the "wing burner" how to.

AlanB - your recommendation to try popcicle sticks is a good one too and certainly of value given that this wing style is one I'll use fairly infrequently. Plus it opens the door for lots of low cost tests of various versions.

Greg H - I also like your suggestion to try the high quality clippers to fabricate the wings.

Thanks all for the info. I've got something that helps me get to where I want to go with this pattern and I appreciate it!
    Joe Bertolini

+ Reply to Thread