the reverse option involves a paddle unfortunately. the boat comes with a kayak paddle that can be seperated mid shaft. it also comes with a t handle to affix to one half of the kayak paddle to make a single paddle. i grew up sculling wooden boats made by my granfather and have a very short sculling paddle in this boat for small lateral position adjustments and reversing direction. i had forgoten how close one could get to fish and critters paddling a boat quietly as i did growing up. this purchase has proven its worth to me from that aspect alone, in spite of being an excellent fishing platform. i have nothing bad to say about this boat and those that know me would find that unbeleivable as i am very critical on most occasions. this is by far the most worthwhile item that i have ever paid too much for. 99% of my fishing is warmwater. i venture to the louisianna marsh sometimes to fish for reds and specs from a 19 ft center console and have spooked many reds in skinny water with the motor guide 70 lb thrust trolling motor. those fish are in for a rude awakening when i return next month. my only regret is that i did not make this purchase years ago when someone on this board replied to one of my kayak post by saying "HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE PRO ANGLER 14".........DO IT!!!!