+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Line Holder

Default New Line Holder

While shopping at Walmart, I was looking in the fishing department for some Fuji hook holders when a came across a new product. It is called RigRap. After looking at it I decided for the price to give it a try. The yellow 8512 comes 4 to a pack for about 6 dollars. This was the first time I have heard of this product and it looked like it would be good to use as a line holder. If you get the chance you should check them out. http://www.rigraponline.com/

Mike P.

looks promising

Here are some more ways to deal with line management problems and be able to put fewer kinks in your line using the EZ-Keeper line management system: http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/view...hp?f=44&t=4131

Looks interesting. I wonder if the lid interferes when wrapping the line.

Blog Entries

Sorry, can't resist this. They should invent something that holds lines. It would be REEL neat. Larry ---sagefisher---

Quote Originally Posted by jasonklass View Post
    Looks interesting. I wonder if the lid interferes when wrapping the line.
    Jason, the line does not interfere with wrapping the line. You can hold it out of the way. You do need to hold the line closer to the container to keep it from straying over the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    Here are some more ways to deal with line management problems and be able to put fewer kinks in your line using the EZ-Keeper line management system: http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/view...hp?f=44&t=4131
    Golden, I was actually there to get the EZ-keepers for my new rod when I seen this. The EZ-keepers system is good to use when moving from spot to spot. For longer storage I prefer to store the line off the rod.

Scorpion, I also prefer to store my lines (long term) off of my rods. I have put rubber feet on the butt caps on all of my fixed line rods to protect the rods better and improve their balance points, and it would be a simple matter to notch the rubber knobs to extend the line storage capacity of the temporary, spot to spot, EZ-Keeper line storage system, as was pictured in the link given above. But it is simply amazing how fast John, the friend who developed the Bottle Storage System, can get his Tenkara tackle up and running, often he catches a fish or two or more while the rest of us are digging out our lines, attaching them to our rods and are in the act of stretching the coil set out of our lines. He, on the other hand, stores his line on the bottle on his rod long term, with no problems that I can see and a fly attached and ready to go. The line comes off of the bottle like the spinning line comes off of a spinning reel, which is really fast and trouble free.

I do a lot of backpacking and hike in fishing, so for me the weight and the bulk involved in using line spools or your excellently efficient line storage Box System will not do, although I am sure there are a lot of Tenkara anglers out there who will really like and enjoy using your great discovery. I carry all of my lines coiled, in small zip-lock plastic bags that make up a multi-bag replacement kit for a leader wallet, with a cut down piece of 3 X 5" note card acting as a divider so that two lines can be carried in each bag, with the line size, the length of the line, and whether the line is a level or a tapered line written on each side of the note card divider so that I know at a glance what lines I am dealing with in each compartment of the leader wallet booklet. Furled lines and Floating fly line style of Tenkara fly lines require less labeling because what the line is, is much more visibly apparent.

To put a line into service with this system, you open the zip-lock bag, take the line out and insert the first two fingers of the hand of your choice into the center of the coiled line and spread your fingers apart to put tension on the line coil and hold it in place. Then you unwind the spiral line rod loop line end wraps that hold the coiled line together until they are all unwound. Then you pull the line off of the coil an arm length at a time, while moving the finger spread line coil holding hand in a rocking up and down motion, until the whole line is all undone. Next, stretch any coil set present out of the line and mount the line to the rod by your preferred method. I have attached braided loops to the lillians on all of my rods and I use the loop-to-loop line attachment method.

To take a line out of service, you detach the fly and detach the line from the rod. Then, starting at the tippet end of the line, pinching the tippet end against your first finger with your thumb and your third finger spread apart from the other two fingers above it, you wind the tippet, transition section if any, and the line around your 3 fingers until the last foot or so of line is left. Then you spiral wrap the rod loop and remaining line around the line coil to secure the coil. Pulling your fingers together makes it easy to get the line coil off of your fingers. Once that is accomplished, the line coil is put back into the zip-lock bag that it came out of for future use. With a little practice this becomes a very quick and almost automatic line handling process....Golden.
    Last edited by Golden; 05-28-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Here is a link for the RIO Leader Wallet Insert: http://www.fishusa.com/Rio-Leader-Wallet-Insert_p.html

And here are some more ways to expand on the EZ-Keeper concept: http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/view...hp?f=44&t=3889

I solved the too small and too big rod blank problems by buying bigger and smaller O-rings to fit the rods that the standard sized EZ-Keepers O-rings wouldn't fit. As for doing your own thread wraps, electrical tape, and Heat Shrink could also be put to good use for making DYO EZ-Keepers.
    Last edited by Golden; 05-29-2013 at 07:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread