+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Planting fish!

Hybrid View

Default Planting fish!

Planted about 7 white crappie carcasses, 1 green sunfish carcass and the leftovers of a catfish in my garden around my broccoli, cucumbers, roses and a few perennials. I'll keep folks posted on how things go. Anyone had any experience with this?
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

Using crappie to grow cucumber and broccoli is a terrible waste of fish. Now if it were tomatoes and watermelon it might be worthwhile. I had a friend who did something similar with some small bream several years ago, with good effect.
    It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Using crappie to grow cucumber and broccoli is a terrible waste of fish. Now if it were tomatoes and watermelon it might be worthwhile.
    I know, right! Made a slurry by rinsing bucket. Gave that to the tomatoes. Hopefully they pop nicely. I have a couple stunted rose bushes, too. I'm hoping this gives them a good boost.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

Blog Entries

Where I live that would be highly unlawful, waste of game fish. Use suckers or carp instead.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    Where I live that would be highly unlawful, waste of game fish. Use suckers or carp instead.
    I had not thought of that. I will definitely review the regs on that one. Thanks for the heads up, DG.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    Just reviewed the regs, and I broke the law unknowingly on one thing. I snagged the small cat in the tail. Didn't know I couldn't keep it. Lesson learned! No regs on use of possessed fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

I fillet my pan fish and put the guts in the garden or the compost pile. I thinks that it helps.
    Nitrogen source to go with all the carbon that comes from plants on the compost pile.

Rick

Many years ago I was playing in the garden and got "stung" by something sharp. I had to go to the Doc for treatment. It seems that pops had taken the carcasses of some bullheads and threw them in the garden and I got nailed by one of the "horns" several months later. While I doubt that would ever happen again who knows?

Tim

+ Reply to Thread