+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great Video of how many sets we miss

Default Great Video of how many sets we miss

http://youtu.be/jwRhURWxygw

This is a Bird's Nest treated with fly floatant behind an orange split shot...easy too see how may grabs get missed.

Ralph Cutter video
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I've read about using "frog's fanny" on nymphs, but I wonder if the fish are grabbing the nymph more often because it is shiny, or are they letting it go because it didn't look quite right, or why are they not holding on to it very long? And how in the world do we ever hook one of the little devils?

Some adult caddis dive to lay their eggs. A film of air encases them when they submerge. Cutter imitates this by covering a bird's nest nymph with dry fly powder floatant which encases the nymph w/a film of air

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Mike -

Very enjoyable video. Cutter does some really neat stuff.

I was talking to a guide on a major river in this area last fall. He made the point about how many fish we don't catch with a recent experience. He and another guide had fished a hole and caught four fish. Along comes Fish and Game and electroshocks the hole. Something like a hundred trouts pop up to the surface. ( He was probably exaggerating - but it still makes the point. )

I had the good fortune to volunteer with Idaho Fish and Game on a survey of about three miles of the Henry's Fork seven or eight years ago, electroshocking just a narrow swath of the river near the bank. UNBELIEVEABLE how many fish we saw. Anglers don't even come close to catching what is available to them in that river. And that is probably pretty typical of most rivers.

John
    Electroshocking is very revealing. I've seen it several times on some of the small streams here in the driftless. Some of our streams have over a 1000 trout per mile. So if I fish a half mile of stream and am feeling pretty good about the 20 fish I caught, I need to remember that there are 480 fish that I didn't catch! Who knows how many of them intercepted my nymph and spit it without me ever knowing about it like in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    I was talking to a guide on a major river in this area last fall. He made the point about how many fish we don't catch with a recent experience. He and another guide had fished a hole and caught four fish. Along comes Fish and Game and electroshocks the hole. Something like a hundred trouts pop up to the surface.
    A local guide told me the same thing. He went electroshocking with the DNR and was amazed at how many fish turned up. He said it was the most humbling day of his life.

I think all of us like to think we have an above average ability to detect the lightest takes of the smallest fish. That video sure shows how wrong we are. I like to think there are at least a couple of times I'd have set the hook on those drifts but maybe not. From my years of jig fishing I really got to a point where I'd instinctively set the hook on a fish that I never really "felt" but more of a sixth sense. I could do the same with big trout and salmon while dead drifting egg flys and attractors. I found out on returning to stream fishing last fall for first time in years that those trout just don't give me the same opportunity to sense a take like jig fishing does. I can't believe how many fish I missed last fall river fishing. On the good side is I did detect a lot of the takes I missed but just didn't get hooks in quick enough. Rolled a lot of fish without way too many misses.

+ Reply to Thread