+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suitcase for 9.5 ft fly rod

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Suitcase for 9.5 ft fly rod

Hi,
    Getting ready for my fishing trip which involves flying through several airports.

One of my rods is a 9.5 footer. I think the pieces are longer than 9.5 divided into 4 sections as there are ferrules.

Anyway, I have this really big duffle bag style suitcase that it fits into. That bag is a real burden though.

I will not try to carry the rod on with me as my trip is long with many stops.

Anyone know of a good suitcase for a rod of this length?

PS. I know Orvis sells a rod/reel case that would fit, but I want something I can pack other things in; I.e., boots, waders, pants, shirts, etc.....besides, the Orvis one that would fit is $179........
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 05-27-2013 at 06:09 AM.

I have used a GI sea bag available from the army surplus. rod tube in center , gear packed around it . they are water resistant, and you can reasonably toss the bag over you shoulder to maneuver around the airport . about 40 bucks.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Byron,

Go to any hardware store and get a piece of 1-1/2" PVC Tubing plus 2 end caps. Cut the tube to a length equal to the rod sections plus 2 or 3 inches. Glue one of the caps to one end. Sand the inside of the other cap and outside of the other end just a little and smoothly. The cap wil still fit snug but it'll be easier to remove when needed. Sand the exterior and spray paint if you desire. This rod case is just about indestructable and costs about $6. I just made one yesterday for a small rod I built. Had to buy a 10' tube, used 3', and have 7' left over. Guess I'll have to build a couple of more rods, lol.

Allan

FedEx has these really cool triangular boxes. But try Goggling duffels with zippers, I did and a 18" x 50" duffel with a zipper is available from Campmr, put the rod in a PVC tube in the duffel.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 05-27-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I bought one of these http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sag...colorFamily=01 for my four piece 4 wt and I'm very happy with it. They have one for 9.5 ft rods that should fit the bill. Then all you need to do is get a separate bag for the other stuff you want to carry on. Just a thought... Jim Smith

Byron,

If I am undertanding you, you have a rod case for the rod but want a better suitcase to put the rod in.

I have a rollind duffle bag that is has wheels and a solid bottom but the rest of the duffle is of ballistic nylon. Mine is an earlier version of Eagle Creek luggage. I got mine on sale for a really good price.

You can see the current options here:

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/duffels-b...ear-bags/l/114

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/rolling-luggage/l/112
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Byron,

Go to any hardware store and get a piece of 1-1/2" PVC Tubing plus 2 end caps. Cut the tube to a length equal to the rod sections plus 2 or 3 inches. Glue one of the caps to one end. Sand the inside of the other cap and outside of the other end just a little and smoothly. The cap wil still fit snug but it'll be easier to remove when needed. Sand the exterior and spray paint if you desire. This rod case is just about indestructable and costs about $6. I just made one yesterday for a small rod I built. Had to buy a 10' tube, used 3', and have 7' left over. Guess I'll have to build a couple of more rods, lol.

Allan
    The rod is in its metal tube. As I said, I need a suitcase that it will fit in as well as other rods, wading boots, waders, other clothes, etc.

Thanks Silver. I may look into those. As I said, I currently use a hard bottomed duffle bag type bag but it is really unruly to get around with.
    Although Costco is closed today, I understand they have one which is only 30" long. Gotta see if maybe it would fit in that if put in diagonally. Any math majors here? If it is 30" long and 17" wide, how long is it in diagonal?
    Of course, those, I assume, are outside measurements........

I found the formula and calculate the diagonal as 34" based on 30" X 17" X 4".................
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 05-27-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Byron,
    If your flights are on a boeing 737 or larger aircraft, there is a large compartment right in front of you as you enter the aircraft. It is used to hold
    garment bags and will take a large fly pole case. However, do take the advise from Allen, above. The PVC tube is easy to handle in a car or pick-up or van.
    The reals you will have to cary on in your "carry on luggage". The airport inspection might ask where you'r going fish'en, but they get this all the time.
    Good fish'en
    Crunchy

I store all of my fly fishing gear in a duffel bag that is about 32" long. It easily fits any multi-piece rod tube and holds my wading boots waders, vest, net, wading staff, etc. I usually put the rod tubes on the bottom along the sides as they are stronger than the net, etc. When traveling by air, I fill it up with fishing clothes, hat, etc. and check it as baggage. I have yet to have anything broken or lost --knock on wood.

One of the advantages of storing this stuff in a single duffel bag is that I never arrive at a stream to find I've left an important piece of gear at home.

As for lugging it around an airport, I either use the duffel bag's shoulder strap or just balance it on top of a large rolling suitcase.

I travel for a living. I carry my stuff rather than hope the airline gets it to my destination. I'm off to Singapore tomorrow thru Atlanta and Tokyo. In the past year I've been thru Rome, Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt, Bahrain, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Moscow, London, Tokyo, and Singapore. American, United, Delta, Emirates, Gulf Air, etc... I have not had ANY problem with any of my rods, reels, or fly boxes going thruogh security. I carry a rollaboard, a small computer case, and one or two rod tubes. No worries.

If you want to check them, that's cool. But don't be afraid to carry them on. They fit on RJ's to 747's. I like knowing where they are, and not having them end up in Madrid when I'm in Sydney. Just my .02.

Last edited by fr8dog; 05-27-2013 at 11:09 PM.

+ Reply to Thread