+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suitcase for 9.5 ft fly rod

http://fishpondusa.com/trailhead-gear-bag.cfm

This may interest you.

Wayne
    "I Never Saw A Wild Thing Sorry For Itself, A Bird Will Fall Frozen Dead From A Bough, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself."

As somebody who travels a lot, I have to agree with Fr8dog. Many stops is a reason to carry as much stuff as you can with you; not a reason to check it in baggage. More switches, the better the chance it winds up in the wrong location.

Take at least a rod and fully-lined reel with you. Worst case, at least you have something to fish with.

Metal tubes are a problem, however. TSA can think that they can be used as a weapon. Go with PVC or a softshell.

Unfortunately, anything that is long enough to hold a rod and large enough to hold the other gear and clothing you describe is going to be big and bulky. I have found a 32" or 36" rolling duffel to be the best solution. If you get one that has a hard lower compartment and a soft upper compartment you can put rods in their rod socks in the lower compartment and dispense with the bulkier hard tubes. Several different outfitters including Orvis, Fishpond, Cabela's, and LL Bean make them specifically designed for fly fishing. You can also get more generic versions from other makers like High Sierra, Eagle Creek and Coleman. Snoop around the internet and you can usually find a discontinued model at a good markdown. Try to find one that is relatively lightweight when empty -- with such a big bag it's not hard to load it so full that you exceed the weight limit and incur excess-weight fees.
    Last edited by moucheur; 05-28-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Update..........

Thanks everyone. I found a lightweight 29" "regular type" suitcase at our Macy's. I took my longest rod tube in with me. It is an 8.5, but only a 3 piece. It is longer than the 9,5' rod. It BARELY fits diagonally, but also has plenty of room for other fishing things. It is quite large, but, empty, weighs only about 11 pounds - 39 pounds to go.......................

Thanks for all the advice and input.

I never have a carry on bag when I fly so I always carry my 4 piece rod and put it under my seat. I flew to Chile last Feb on three different planes with no problem. I put two rods in the case and the reels in the orvis bag with wheels.

Blog Entries

Krauseb,

I know what you mean. I have been to Southern Chile twice. Most of my rods are 5 piece and when I went there those are the rods I took. They fit very nicely in a normal suitcase. Since then, I have acquired some "favorite" rods which are not 5 piece rods.
    I just like to have my gear stowed away so I don't need to mess the gear on the flights. For me, Chile was a 6 hr flight to LA, then change planes for a long flight to Dallas, change planes again for flight to Santiago; then change planes for flight to Southern Chile..............

Times two, for coming home. And, the layover in Dallas alone was a 6 or 8 hour one. Like to not be carrying gear around airports, especially on long layovers.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 06-03-2013 at 05:46 AM.

I prefer to carry on fly rods and reels when I fly. I have flown on trips when I have taken multiple rods, and on those trips I carried one rod on the plane along with my reels and put the rest of my gear in this duffle bag from Cabelas. It is light, tough and inexpensive. I strap in onto a carry on sized rolling carry on size suitcase.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Luggage-Travel/Gear-Duffel-Bags%7C/pc/104795280/c/104744880/sc/104356080/Cabelas-Ripcord-Duffels/1315823.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fgear-duffel-bags%2F_%2FN-1100755%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104356080%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat1047 96180%253Bcat104744880&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104796180% 3Bcat104744880%3Bcat104356080

+ Reply to Thread