Don't you hate it when a good (or great) fishing hole is destroyed?

The hole just downstream of where I was fishing that day used to be a great little creek hole to fish. I used to catch all sorts of sunnies, LMB, Channel Cats, two different species of Bullheads, even Gizzard Shad and adult Golden Shiners. I know someone used to fly-fish that hole, as about 4 years ago, I found a dry fly laying on some concrete.

This particular creek has been "straightened" by the Corps of Engineers, as it's known to flash flood, and runs through several urban neighborhoods. There's lots of rip-rap, steel rebar, and other debris in the creek. Sadly, a couple years ago, one of the local kids got it in his head to go swimming there, during a high-flow event. He got his foot caught. I can't remember if he survived or not, but....

After a couple of years, the Corps has been working a project at this spot, filling this hole in with rip-rap, but not sealing it. Basically turning the creek (50' wide) into a giant French Drain for about 100'. You can walk out on the rocks, and hear the water trickling through below your feet.