+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Had a first today....

Default Had a first today....

Got out from work, and went to a nearby creek that is loaded with Green Sunfish. It was windier than heck out there (honestly, "calm" days are rare here), so I was using my 8wt, with a foam hopper and a Scud about 6" below the hopper.

I caught lots of fish. Aggressive little buggers! Here's my first:

I knew this would happen sooner or later, and is the main reason why I don't really like to use a strike indicator. I prefer a floating fly, as you never know when an aggressive fish will take what's on top.

I also managed to see a White Koi swimming around in this pool. I saw a white one and an orange one in the pool downstream last year. The pools are separated by about 100' of rip-rap that creates a large French Drain. I'm wondering if someone caught the white one and moved it to the upper pool?

Where I fish that is a common occurrence. I have caught Bass and Stripe like that before too.

Knucks

Nice work!

It's always fun to get a double. The only double I catch today was a weed and stick at the same time. Best run I ever had was 16 (consecutive) fish on 8 cast. Unfortunately, they drained that lake about 8 years ago and refilled it a couple years later.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Don't you hate it when a good (or great) fishing hole is destroyed?

The hole just downstream of where I was fishing that day used to be a great little creek hole to fish. I used to catch all sorts of sunnies, LMB, Channel Cats, two different species of Bullheads, even Gizzard Shad and adult Golden Shiners. I know someone used to fly-fish that hole, as about 4 years ago, I found a dry fly laying on some concrete.

This particular creek has been "straightened" by the Corps of Engineers, as it's known to flash flood, and runs through several urban neighborhoods. There's lots of rip-rap, steel rebar, and other debris in the creek. Sadly, a couple years ago, one of the local kids got it in his head to go swimming there, during a high-flow event. He got his foot caught. I can't remember if he survived or not, but....

After a couple of years, the Corps has been working a project at this spot, filling this hole in with rip-rap, but not sealing it. Basically turning the creek (50' wide) into a giant French Drain for about 100'. You can walk out on the rocks, and hear the water trickling through below your feet.

My dad straighten me out one time, I wasn't much fun for a while after that either. The COE doesn't seem to have a lot of fishermen at the decision making level for sure. You may have seen the video of Sen. Lamar Alexander going off on the COE higher upper official about limiting fishing below dams on the tailwaters.

On destroying fishing holes, that was the worse year ever, the county drained that lake which was the best lake I ever fished for bream, another nearby lake I fished and we lost access to the third lake due to our host moving. That was the year I had to start learning how to catch trout or stay home.

To the best of my memory, I had a first today, a double with a bream on the dry fly and a bass on the dropper. The photos as less than outstanding, I could hardly see what was on the viewfinder and subjects kept moving around. bream-bass double 3.JPGbream-bass double 4.JPG

Nice fish! Gotta love surprises like that!

I live in Wichita, so I know about the wind. A sidearm cast sometimes works ok for me. Had a double bluegil last summer, it was so hot they were both poached when I got them to hand.
    Sometimes the other ones go away, but I'm always right here.

If I lived in KS, I would probably have an anchor for my float tube. I sling line on the side to get under tree limbs here in GA.

+ Reply to Thread