+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feather streamers

Hybrid View

Question Feather streamers

Are there any videos detailing how to tie feather streamer wings so they stay vertically flat? I've tried crushing the quill stems and tried tying on top and along the sides of the hook. Nothing seems dependable.

Blog Entries

Uhhhhhhhhh................ I thought the idea was not exactly flat, but slightly tilted in at the top.

Put them in a test tank and you will find flat wings just hang there. Tilted wings flutter and dance an awful lot...

After a bunch of years tying spey flies and teaching the occasional class on getting the wings right there is one aspect that seems to be overlooked. get the "bed" right where the feather is going to sit. If you have a fat dubbed body your bed needs to be real high to allow the wings to run back over the body without disturbance.

Another important point is waxing your thread so it holds the feather where you want it. And finally, a dab of superglue when you get the feathers set, but not tied down yet. Put the drop of superglue down and then wipe off the excess with a papertowel. The remaining glue will dry instantly and your feather will be right...

Ray,

Not sure that the following will help, but, it is a tying video for tying a Flat Wing Streamer. I hope it helps out....At the bottom of the list of materials for the pattern is a link for a video which explains the tying technique a little better than the picture step-by-step.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Flatwing Shiner.htm
    Last edited by WarrenP; 05-27-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I've caught quite a few fish on flat wing streamers like the woods special or harris special. Those are rather simple ones though utilizing the mallard or teal flank they tie quite easily. I did tie a nine-three in the flat wing style once and it took some finagling, I may have to sit down and try it again.

I guess I should not have used the word "flat". I'm not asking about flat wing streamers.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I have an easy way to do it.....I omit the feathers and use bucktail, because I am absolutely horrible at tying feather wings of any kind. I don't know why. I have tried and tried to learn., but it doesn't seem like it's ever going to happen. Oh well. You can't be good at everything.....

+ Reply to Thread