+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vicki fly rod

Default Vicki fly rod

Today I was given a bamboo rod by the wife of a good friend who has passed on.Vicki on the cork handle.Came in a wooden box with a lot of wet flys.Rod is a 3piece,8 ft.With 3 tips.He used it 2 times back in the 70's.Mint condition.Wrappings seem tight,ferrules good.No scratches.I am going to fish it as I know thats what he would have wanted.Being as it is old can I fish it w/o reasonable fear of the rod breaking?Any ideas on age,value?Martin automatic reel with the # 8A stamped on it.

Mike

Hi Mike, it is kind of hard to say but the description that you give fits one of several post WWII bamboo flyrods that came in form post-war Japan. It is really hard to tell without seeing it.

ths Japanese rods were easily identifed for the most part. They typically came in a wooden box, 32 - 36 Inchs in length, and the lid of the box was compartmentlized to hold various flies, and other fishing gear. Most of these rods were combination rods, in that they could be either a spinning, casting or a fly rod.

Pictures of yours would help.

Hey dleo;
    You have described it to a T.Box is 34" w/compartments.Never fished bamboo so will give it a try.Value doesnt matter,just wanted some info.Thanks and good fishing.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread