The thing about warm water ponds is that sooner or later some fisherman or other well-intentioned person is eventually going to release fish into the pond either to create a new/convenient fishery for themselves or because they can't stand to kill a non-native species of fish they have, so they release it in a nice little pond they know of. It happens with Crappie all the time here in Georgia where Bubba catches a bucket full of them and thinks hey, I could let these go in the pond down the street and then I could catch them whenever I want a few to eat. Crappie in a small pond usually results in loads of stunted fish and can ruin a good fishery. It's believed that the current invasion of Snakeheads was the result of people who supply the Asian fish markets with Snakeheads deciding to release some into local ponds, lakes and canals so they can catch them and not have to pay to ship them in from Asia via New York. I live on a 50 acre lake where they use Grass Carp to control weed growth. While I occasionally see them tailing as they feed, it is much more common for me to see a swirl of muddy water where I spooked one (for or five) with my kayak. While it could be a giant bass, my guess that it is either a grass carp or a common carp that has been living there quite some time. Either way, it gives you a new goal to achieve by catching that fish; sort of like your own private Moby Dick. Jim Smith