+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column

Hybrid View

1. Default Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column

Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column for May 20 to 27, 2013

So far in our current series we have covered bar fishing and trolling. I know some of you are finding this boring, but bare with me there are times when things need to be pruned back to a bare stock in order for new life to unfold. That being said this week's topic is float fishing. Oh, you don't fish with floats? Perhaps no; or perhaps you fish with them under their pseudonym of strike indicator. Whatever you choose to call it a float/bobber is a float.

Many anglers can trace their roots back to fishing bait under a float. Many anglers, myself included, have over the process of time and vanity dismissed this method of fishing as juvenile; while other have embraced it and taken it to another level.

My first indication that I had misjudged the lowly float was at fraser valley lake, when I watched a friend suspend a fly under the largest fishing float I had ever seen. When I made a comment on the size of the float, my friend replied, "Exactly, that float is so big, that when a trout tries to take the fly down, it sets the hook on it's self."

Some years later I met an older gentleman who was enthralled with my flies, and annually bought two to three dozen from me. Another float fisherman, who loved nothing more than to sit quietly on a dock casting his float and fly with an old Johnson closed faced reel, attached to and antique glass rod. When he passed on from this life to the next, he left me the canvas topped waders that he had used for duck hunting; with a note that read, "You might find these useful, they have served me well since 1948."

Today we have a small army of float fishermen; although they don't call it float fishing. The word float has given way to strike indicator. Vanity and prejudice have no place in successful fishing; they get in the way of your catching.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is good. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Bloodworm, Nations Black, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Wooly Worm, Pumpkin Head, Micro Leach, Doc Spratley, Halfback, Sixpack, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry (floating) fly action try: Lady McConnel, Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Double Hackled Peacock, Royal Coachman, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, Black Ant, or Elk Hair Caddis. For kokanee try: Scarlet Ibis, San Juan Worm, Double Trude, Blood Worm, Kokanee Thriller, Kokanee Zonker or Red Spratley.

Our lower Mainland bass and panfish fishing well too. For Bass try: Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Gomphus Bug, Crayfish, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Lefties Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Bucktail, Hair Frog, Poppers, Chernobyl Ant, or Stimulator. For Panfish try smaller (size 12 to 16) versions of the above.

Most of our interior lakes are fishing well. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Halfback Nymph, Baggy Shrimp, Pumpkin Head, Wooly Bugger, Big Black, Dragon Nymph, Sixpack, 52 Buick, or Doc Spratley. For dry fly fishing try: Lady McConnel, Tom Thumb, Black Ant, Water Boatman, Adams, Irresistible, Renegade, or Elk Hair Caddis.

Due to dangerous fishing conditions are withholding the rivers section of this report until safe water levels return.
    Last edited by fishingnewsman; 05-22-2013 at 06:10 AM.

+ Reply to Thread