Just returned from Kodiak today after taking my son (he drew the fancy tag) to Uganik Island/Terror Bay for what turned out to be a very quick hunt. We had to wait until the very end of the season because he had his finals for his first year of college to get out of the way... and that worked in our favor this year, in a big way. Many hunters failed to see any bears this years because the cold, very late spring did not flood their dens like normal years.

The season starts April 1 and runs to May 15 but you get just your choice of a 15 day window during the season. Go early and the bears may still be sleeping... Go late and the hides may be rubbed and ugly as trophies go.

Anyway, Riley and I left Kodiak on Tuesday the 7th at noon to catch the tide at Whale Passage. After 35 years of hanging around Kodiak and 20 years of owning a boat there I still always get the tide backward so we beat head-on into the rips and all the way through the pass. Truly confidence-inspiring for any teenage son looking at his old man. He slept much of the way around the island, so he really had nothing to complain about.

Once around Outlet Cape we entered the infamous Shelikof Strait where all good storms go to be born. But we had an absolute mirror for an ocean and the flattest ride I have seen when transiting the area, tide rips in the pass excepted. There was just a high overcast so it was fairly warm and bright. We had just a minor glitch on the ride when we found the midship bilge pump going continuously and Riley did not notice it while I took a short nap. So I had to crawl down between two large running diesels and reconnect the hose, which instantly solved the problem... But the space is small and I am not... And it was very hot between those engines.

Anyway, we got to the start of his hunting unit and turned SE intending to drive 10-15 miles before dropping the anchor for the night. We would be looking for bears the whole way. Inside Cape Uganik on the north side is a small reef and we turned inside it and stayed offshore about three-quarters of a mile. I thought I saw motion on a beach just ahead and Riley immediately found the bear that was doing the moving.

We got a little closer and he decided it would be the bear he would like. Just a mature bear on the smallish side. After we determined the hide was good and there were no places for cubs to hide on the beach Riley got in the Achilles raft and paddled silently to shore, using a couple large "castles" of rock to hide his approach.

I could not anchor the boat without scaring the bear away and wanted to stay close enough to follow the action.

When he got close to shore he paddled out into the open, but the bear had already sensed his presence and when he peeked around the corner of the castle rock the bear was staring at him from about 50 yards. The bear had to go up nearly vertical rock to get off the beach and Riley rolled it right back onto the beach with his first shot.

Because brown bears are brown bears he elected to pay a little insurance and give the taxidermist a little job security as a hole mender.

He paddled back out to the boat as I set the anchor and we got our cameras, knives, gloves, and such ready. The bear fell on open beach, near the top of a fairly steep grade. A smooth rock made a perfect prop and we were able to turn the bear enough and roll it on top of the rock from above. It worked out well and would have been impossible to get the bear on top of under almost any other circumstances.

After many photos with several cameras we rolled the bear off and took away the bear rug... A very long furred, very fluffy sow of seven feet with just a hint of golden tips on a light-medium brown background.

Because it does not get dark until almost 11 we ran into a very protected anchorage for the night and ate ribeye (beef not bear!) steaks panfried in sweet mustard. It was very good.

The next morning we had a hearty breakfast of hot reindeer sausage and cream cheese omlettes before continuing through Uganik Passage East and peeking into Terror Bay. At Hellgeson's; one of the bear camps around which much Kodiak fame and lore has been lived, loved, lied about, and at least in part fantasized; we saw two more bears on the beach. A sow and her older cub with badly rubbed hides were digging in the sand and flipping rocks. A little farther inside we saw two foxes, a true red and a cross. We almost missed four hunters sitting on a rock and glassing for bears just a bit farther inside. At that point we turned and left to avoid disturbing their hunt.

The raft was stowed back on the swim step about halfway to the unit boundary at Naugolka Point and we ran back to town in the same dead flat seas we had the day before. Even the tide was right through Whale Pass on the ride home.

Riley fleshed the skull and made an interesting discovery. The nuchal crest is a horizontal ridge of bone projecting from the rear of the skull and well over an inch long on brown bears. Muscles attach here and longer nuchal crests mean more leverage for jaw muscles. The nuchal crest ties into the sagital crest which does the same thing along the top centerline of the skull. On his bear he found a thumb-sized chunk of the nuchal crest broken out. A couple inches away hidden in the muscle of the skull was a lead bullet turned into a flattened banana and encased in scar tissue.

The headache that bullet must have produced would be a good test of ibuprofen...

Will try to get some photos up soon.
art