+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bicycling & flyfishing.

Hybrid View

Default Bicycling & flyfishing.

Hi,
    Does anyone have experience with bicycling to flyfishing spots? There are some "Rails to Trails" paths which parallel some trout streams in my area. I have a mountain bike, but I am wondering how to mount soem sort of fly rod carrier/holder. The commercially available ones seem to be rigged mostly for spinning tackle. I sometimes enjoy making my own stuff (if not too complicated), but I am wondering if anyone has experience with this sort of thing. Thanks, in advance.
    For a real challenge, try ice fishing with dry flies.

JimBob, It depends on the rod size. Naturally a 9 foot 2 piece would take a 4'7"+ long rod tube which would be difficult to secure to a mountain bike. I know a guy who uses his mt. bike to transport all his fishing gear, including a float tube, to a high mountain lake at the end of a 3 mile trail. He has added racks, saddle bags and other things to help him. He mostly pushes the bike. Also he uses a 5 piece travel rod in a tube that fits in a backpack. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I don't think it would be a great idea to try to haul a rigged rod on a bike. Too many things could go wrong and you could end up with a broken rod. Best option is to carry the rod in a tube attached to a backpack. I use the kind that carry the rod with a reel on it (4 piece) and have it rigged with a sling to carry it across by back like a rifle.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

I agree with the above. I've been thinking about this myself. I would go with shorter rods probably and a backpack. I've never ridden a bicycle with waders on, but how bad could it be?

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

I've done a fair amount of cycling to fishing spots, but I'm always a bit of a minimalist, and when I'm cycling recognize that I'm even more so and really "travel light". I wear what I want to fish in (shorts or jeans) and either fish from the bank or "wet wade" depending on locale. No waders or fishing boots, as my shoes are either some Keen "sandals" or my light hiking boots. No cycling cleats in this application either as I just use toe clips and straps. My "cycling rod" is typically a Scott 602-3 F2, or a Winston 863-4 BIIIx. I simply remove the rod sock from the tube (leave the rod inside the sock) and keep it rolled up. I then use two short "velcro" strips to secure the rod/sock under the top tube of my bike (grip end of rod toward front), with the extra length of the rod passing by the seat post and "hanging" out over the rear tire. Being a three piece six foot rod, (or a four piece eight and a half foot rod) it extends just a few inches past the seat post, and is pretty much out of harm's way. The velcro strips I use are about a half inch wide and six inches long. One side of the strip is the "hook side", and the other side of the strip is the "loop side". So they can "fasten" as small or large as I need. And once I'm fishing, I don't have to worry about a nice rod tube being unsecured, and can even stuff the sock (and straps) into a pocket or pack if I feel a need to.

The reel, fly box, scissor forceps, tippet spools, etc. go into the cargo pockets of my jeans, or a small fanny pack I wear if I have shorts on. And if I really want a lot of stuff (food for example) I'll wear my small chest pack.

Water bottles are in their cages, and I wear the sunglasses I'll need. My small bicycle seat pack carries all the bicycle repair items except for a small frame mounted pump, and that pretty much covers everything I need.

My hat is really the only thing I don't have a place for, as I always wear a helmet, and my hat won't fit under it. So I have to resort to finding somewhere to stuff it, but it's usually not too difficult to do as well. I also use an elastic loop to secure my right pant leg if I'm wearing jeans, so they don't get sucked into the chain rings.

I've ridden as far as 25 miles one way to a specific destination with this set up and had no issues. But being a roadie at heart (and for most of my cycling), that was a long slow ride for me, and not one I'd really care to do again. But for the "exploration" of a stream with some single track along side it, or the quick three to five mile hop to a local fishing hole, I love using a bike.

---David

I have biked to fish in Waterton Canyon many times. The system that I have converged on is to wear everything I would wear for fishing on the bike, except for the waders if it is too warm. I will bike in my wading boots, just without the waders on. The way back is downhill, so I wear the waders for the downhill ride. I don't ride with my rod rigged. I keep it in the sock and put it in the bigger back pocket on my vest. As long as the zipper is mostly closed, it wont' fall out. The reel goes in a vest pocket. I take a cable lock for the bike, but don't leave anything else with the bike.

Using a bike ensures that I get in more fishing time and less walking time. It can make a difference of an additional two hours of fishing.

Ted

sorry, I think my first attempt got sent too soon or is lost somewhere. I wear wading boots and wet wade.Like Utah Dave, I go minimalist.lanyard with a couple of small boxes in my shirt pocket.i I bungee cord my rod tube on the bar between the handlebars and the seat.
    best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

Thanks Steve. The wading boots are a good idea. The first stream I intend to fish (Lehigh River) is extremely slippery (if not dangerous) without felt/cleats. I check and see if I can ride the bike with my wading boots. If not, perhaps I can bring them in a backpack or something.

Thanks to all for your help and advice. Greatly appreciated.

My bike is the old timey kind ... just one speed and simply reversing the peddles for brakes. But love to take it along on my outings - load up the little popup camper with the bike on the rear of it with the Radisson canoe/boat on the top. Set up camp next to a good fishing stream - the camper sleeps great up off the ground, the bike for riding around and exploring the area, plus the canoe boat for checking out the water.

Here's the gear all loaded and ready to roll, all I have to do is hitch up!

+ Reply to Thread