+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bicycling & flyfishing.

I've found that when fishing at the beach, a lot of time free and legal parking is not anywhere near where you need to be and a bike is the best way to get around.
    My bike of choice is an old girls 3 speed that I got at the dump.
    Not only is the girls style bike much easier to ride while wearing waders, but that bike is so ugly that there's no need to lock it up.
    Last edited by dudley; 05-23-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

ohh i like this ...as i made some panniers just to carry "stuff"..."bike fishing really teaches one how to minamial ize (sp.)i have a mountain bike...it does work ...i also use a waist pack ..also go over to instructables there is a number of pages to see how to make panniers ...i .....ok here it goes ....i have a pair of old "red-ball waders ...goes on rack..waist belt in one side of home made panneiers ..5wt rod w/tube in other side with hatalso have a thingy of coffee to an a small snack to even it out ..water bottle on water rack ...an bike tools trash kit on front of handle bars ....yes i miss my vest ...but this works ..its new ..good luck ...think bug out fishing ...lol...an let your mind wander ....wait till ya try to tow a float tube ...than ya build a trailer ....lol...good luck ..it is an can be done by you ...if this old marine can do it so can you
    yeah ,like they are just gonna jump on the hook ,,,huh

Lots of good info already-

I wear a Camelback hydration pack which has plenty of room for tackle, bike specific tools, spare tube, mini pump. Rod gets bungeed to the side of the Camelback. Sandals for wading get bungeed to the outside of the pack as well. Bike shoes go where the sandals used to be when I'm fishing. It's all about fun - if it's too cold to wet wade in my sandals and bike shorts, it's too cold to take the bike fishing.

For short trips I have often secured a fully rigged two-piece rod to the top tube of my bike with small bungees. Risky, but no problems. A four piece (or more) rod in a tube secured to my pack is much safer, but takes all that much longer to rig up when I get where I'm going.

I can't imagine it is enjoyable in any way to wear waders on a bike. As a kid growing up, I'd wear hip boots on my bike all the time, but good fishing was never more than a couple miles from home.

Yes, I get funny looks from the uninformed, ignorant people who have no understanding of the functional purpose of good bike shorts.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Blog Entries

The middle section of The Ranch on the Henry's Fork is a little over a mile walk-in from the highway parking lot. Quite a few guys bring their bikes and bike their way to the river and back. Personally, I enjoy the hike. If you look back over your shoulder, you see the Tetons in the distance. Beautiful place!!

Many Thanks. I also enjoy hiking, mostly complete day-hikes into wilderness trout streams. If the fishing is not productive, at least you've been hiking in a beautiful place.
    For a real challenge, try ice fishing with dry flies.

If I were to bike to fishing, I would go the extra $ and get a rod that is more pieces (before the bike spill) and comes with a case/tube. I have seen 4 Flextecs @ 7pc and in 4/5 wt model or the recent Nomad versions, they are quite nice (not great, but quite nice). Or you could get an Albright 5pc. (I have experience with the 4wt and 6 wt, and again, they are very nice - not rocket launchers, but very nice). There is also a Cabelas Stowaway, and Ovis has something if you want to spend more. These sizes could fit in your pack or strap to the X-bar of the bike. I think this would be less fuss, more ease while pedaling, and worth the expenditure.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I do it all the time. Depending on the roads where I plan to fish, I either use my fully-restored, and absolutely beautiful 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder MTB, or my 1994 Specialized Crossroads Hybrid Bike. I have an Instep Trailer that easily holds all my gear, including my inflatable Sevylor Rio Kayak.

I also have an All Rite handlebar rack that holds my rifle, shotgun, or bows and arrows (I use my bikes for hunting and trapping as well...). I am sure it would hold rods also, with no trouble. Here is my Cannondale MTB with the All Rite rack mounted:

Here is my Crossroads rig with the trailer:

And here is my wonderful Sevylor Rio:

If you plan on using your bike for utility or transportation, a trailer makes life a lot easier. There is not much you can't do with a bicycle. I even haul trash, firewood and groceries on mine. With gas prices like they are, I don't understand why more people are not using bicycles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 05-29-2013 at 07:55 PM.

I almost bought that color myself. The Bike Shop didn't have one in my size that color, and I didn't want to wait for one to come in.

The wine color was beautiful. But the blue is not bad. I think one year they also made a gold-colored model. They changed the design around 2004, and switched to a straight top-tube, instead of the classy mildly curved top-tube. It's a shame, because the looks really suffer now. The newer ones just look like an overgrown MTB with street tires.

Specialized Crossroads make excellent long-distance touring bikes. You just need to replace the flat handlebars with a set of Scott, or Nashbar Trekking handlebars, and you're good to go. Profile makes a nice set of long-distance bars called Commuter Bars, that are of a similar design. I have the Nashbar model. I do Century's all the time on my Crossroads (when I am not trying to show off my 1978 Cannondale Criterium), and I have taken two-week long tours with it with little trouble. I think my longest ride so far has been from Chatsworth, Ga. to Tampa, Fl in 9 days. I came back via Greyhound.

I don't even have a Driver's License anymore (gave it up voluntarily 4 years ago in protest to high gas prices, and I also question the States authority to require a license to use my own personal property to travel on public roads). I bicycle everywhere. I do use public transportation sometimes (we have a shuttle service in Chatsworth, Ga.), but not much. It's amazing how much money a car costs you to own and operate. I love my bicycles.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Got one of those '94 Specialized Crossroads sitting in my garage ready to go - except mine is the deep wine color - with a rack on the back. <br>
    <br>
    I really enjoy biking, but the places I fish are a bit too far away to get to with a bike. There are a few places where I plan to take it along with me and then use it to explore.<br>
    <br>
    Since I'll be wet wading, everything I need will fit in a Camelback Rim Runner hydration pack and the rod can be strapped to the rack on the bike or to the Camelback.<br>
    <br>
    John
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 05-29-2013 at 08:41 PM.

I told you wrong. I got my Crossroads confused with my Giant Rincon MTB. The Giant is a 1994. The Crossroads is a 1998. See what happens when you get older?

I probably have over 2000 miles on the Crossroads. It's my main ride. The Schwinn probably has around 2500 miles on it (I have had it longer). The Giant, around 1000, and the Cannondale also around 1000. I've just started keeping logs on Map My Ride.com, but so far, over the last 8 months, I average 75 miles per week riding time. When I started riding full-time, I weighed 355 pounds. Now I weigh 240 and still dropping.

I didn't mean to slam the straight top-tube models. It's just that the curved top tube has such a cool retro look that it's a shame they discontinued it. That wine color was really beautiful, almost like the old Schwinn color they called "Apple-Crate". I am sure your bike is still stunning enough to turn some heads, even after all these years. I'd bet money that the old girl has still got it going on....

Sorry to get off topic. I'm kind of a nut on collecting and restoring classic bicycles. That's why one of my nicknames is Schwinnhund. I collect classic Schwinns. Anyway, if anyone has been following this thread, you should be getting the idea by now that if you have a bike, and live within 20-25 miles of where you want to fish, you already have a perfect outdoor assault vehicle. You should use it.

If you are thinking of getting a bike, go for a good used one. They need love and a good home, and are very faithful and loyal companions. Avoid the Walmart bikes and opt for a good name-brand bike (pre 1998 Schwinns and Mongooses are OK. After that, the names were bought by Pacific Bicycles, the makers of Chinese Huffys. The new ones are basically just cheap Huffys with Schwinn and Mongoose decals.That's why they are now sold in WalMarts instead of good bike shops. It's sad, really. They used to be great bikes....). You can get an outstanding used bike for as little as $75.00 that will need very little work. A little oil and a tweak here and there, and you now have a $500.00 bike, raring to go. Slap on some bags, and even though some will scoff, I highly recommend fenders, both front and back. If you ride much at all, you'll soon see why.... I am not real fond of pebbles, bits of glass and other debris, small pieces of roadkill, and cold muddy water being thrown directly into my crotch, and up the middle of my back. They invented fenders for a good reason......

One thing about going fishing via a bicycle is that the trip becomes a complete adventure. Instead of a mindless ride to the destination, the trip itself becomes a wonderful part of the experience. Instead of whizzing by everything, you become a part of it. To me, fly fishing, paddling and bicycles all go hand-in-hand. They are all eco-friendly, wholesome, and soul-nurturing.

I also like the idea that I can go those distances without having to depend on gas, or anything other than myself. It's just way too cool.....

Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Now that's interesting - because mine has a straight top-tube. But it really is a pretty color, more like the candy apple red from way back when.

Mine is a low mileage model. My other bike is a '96 Trek 1200 road bike. It's a higher mileage one from when I lived in Vegas and could ride year round on decent pavement.

John
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 05-30-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Some like a wine color, some prefer a wine cooler. Nice bike setup.

+ Reply to Thread