I'm on an ice fishing forum when the water gets hard up here in Maine. Most people call it "spot burning" around here, early in the season good ice is a secret for some and sometimes just the bold depending on one's idea of safe ice. But it is a point of contention among some anglers when someone tells others publicly that they caught some nice trout be it open water or hard water. I've been burned before, had a nice little pond that you had to hike into. Me and a couple friends caught many a nice trout there while going to college, and I go back at least once a year. But one year we took a new freshman out to the pond explicitly telling him that it was a relatively unknown and un-utilized trout pond, proceeded to catch fish all day steady. I graduated that year and went back the next year come to find out from some mutual friends that the freshman had a big mouth and took quite a few people into that pond and since then haven't caught nearly as many nor as large fish, and had to bring out plenty of others trash. So I can see how spot burning bothers some people a lot, but when someone is complaining because some guy caught a big salmon on a large lake that has guys in boats on it trolling everyday, is telling people to fish it, I don't really consider that spot burning, as people are fishing it in large number anyway. I caught a big brown out of a local lake a couple weeks ago in my canoe and told plenty of people about it, but plenty of people were already fishing that lake. Kind of funny to see all the guys trolling out there in their big boats and me in a one man canoe haul that thing in, got a lot of stares, and I'm sure many of those guys watching me catch that fish "Spot burned" Lake George in Canaan, and it might of had a few extra boats on the water that weekend.