Personally, I never get more specific than a waterbody name, and that only if it's a VERY well known waterbody. In order words, if I can expect to go there and see a crowd, then I don't mind naming it publicly.

So, for example, if I was fishing the lower Shoshone, I'd tell people I was fishing the lower Shoshone, because I know there's already going to be 3-4 other cars in the parking lot when I fish there. I wouldn't publicize that I was fishing at XXX Access Point.

Even if it's a river that's somewhat well publicized, but I can fish it without feeling crowded, I won't mention it.

So, for instance, if it was a moderately popular river in Alberta, I'll say I was in Canadaland, but I wouldn't tell people that I was fishing the XXX River.

If it's somewhere that I rarely see other anglers, the most specific I'll get is usually a state. In fact, I'll go out of my way to attempt to be discrete. I'll try to avoid showing landmarks that could be recognized on Google Earth, etc. Considering 99% of my fishing occurs in the latter 2 categories... yeah, I pretty much never tell people when I'm fishing.

One of my favorite streams is hidden a long ways from anything in Wyoming. The fishing is good, the scenery is great, and on the most crowded day I've ever seen, I saw a footprint. The fact that I can have the whole river to myself, and be surrounded by nothing but nature (moose, elk, deer, still haven't seen a bear) is what makes it special. In this day and age of easy mass communication, I know it won't last forever, but right now it's really special, and I selfishly want to keep it that way. There was a time when places like the Madison River were like that. Now, I have very little interest in going there - fishing around crowds like that just isn't my cup of tea. So if I can preserve a few more special places for a few more years by not publicizing them, I'm going to do my part.

Now, that being said, I will TAKE certain people to these places, but not just anybody. And one of the first things I do is beg them not to publicize it - because it's the remoteness and the solitude that makes them unique.